best small cc engine to tune

No more than 1.4 -1.6 as am still young and high insurance, I plan to do it over time so I need to buy a car with the engine, about £1000 for a car then spent money over time tuning the engine, thanks all for the welcome

If insurance is a problem then any mods will bump the insurance price up loads.
You'd get a better deal on car that has say 250bhp from that factory than you would a car that been tuned/upgraded to 250bhp.

Polo 1.4 TDi is easily remapped to about 105bhp. This will get you 180+ lbft of torque at the same time. It's a bit of a hands off process but it's cheap and easy to do.

a 4efte is the best small cc engine to tune, it can handle 1.5 bar on stock internals and produces 250 bhp.

With forged rods it can produce 400 bhp.

to be far any decent small engine to start with is going to kill you on insurance. so modding it is going to be even worse.

if your young id say go for a decent car that you can afford and although youll not like the sound of it dotn touch it for a year and save hard.
then buy a decent car then look to modding it

Probably out of the price range, no idea what they go for.. but the engine I've been most impressed with of late is the Volkswagen 1.4 TSI. They ship it in various powers from factory but the pick of the bunch if the 170bhp... yeah, 170 horses from a 1.4! We remapped one a while ago and it produced 206bhp...

Probably out of the price range, no idea what they go for.. but the engine I've been most impressed with of late is the Volkswagen 1.4 TSI. They ship it in various powers from factory but the pick of the bunch if the 170bhp... yeah, 170 horses from a 1.4! We remapped one a while ago and it produced 206bhp...

206bhp from a 1.4 :amazed: behave! :)

Sorry kids but that's pants in this day and age. It's a step backwards, 1.4's were producing well well over this 10 years ago!

Sorry kids but that's pants in this day and age. It's a step backwards, 1.4's were producing well well over this 10 years ago!

The obvious emphasis has to be put on 170 from factory and with just a map 200.

I cant think of any other car recently never mind 10 years ago that can do this from a 1.4

I don't see what difference it makes factory or not (assuming reliability is maintained). Much more is possible from the factory but manufacturers need to keep cars in the correct place in their product line-up and wouldn't want to go scaring anybody with a 250hp Polo lol.

I don't see what difference it makes factory or not (assuming reliability is maintained). Much more is possible from the factory but manufacturers need to keep cars in the correct place in their product line-up and wouldn't want to go scaring anybody with a 250hp Polo lol.

the diference is in my limited knowledge that 1.4 years ago had to have alot of work, expence and knowledge poured into it to acchieve 200+bhp!
and now in 2011 you get a twin charged 1.4 from vag which eliminates lag, achieve 200bhp from a map and probably with VAG 250bhp will be achived with a uprated turbo, cooling and fueling but no internal work needed (dont know for sure but they do seem to sell undertuned engines!!)

the diference is in my limited knowledge that 1.4 years ago had to have alot of work, expence and knowledge poured into it to acchieve 200+bhp!
and now in 2011 you get a twin charged 1.4 from vag which eliminates lag, achieve 200bhp from a map and probably with VAG 250bhp will be achived with a uprated turbo, cooling and fueling but no internal work needed (dont know for sure but they do seem to sell undertuned engines!!)

Someone here must be forgetting the Honda engine in one of the Civic's that produce's 197 odd bhp from a N/A 1.6. Yes maybe 200 cc more but without the twin charge business. As MA says that sort of power has been around for a while. And IMO in this debate Honda wins it.

Someone here must be forgetting the Honda engine in one of the Civic's that produce's 197 odd bhp from a N/A 1.6. Yes maybe 200 cc more but without the twin charge business. As MA says that sort of power has been around for a while. And IMO in this debate Honda wins it.

Not really mate read the title;)
Yes 200 bhp from a 1.6 is impressive! but beyond that cost and reliability come into it.

Not really mate read the title;)

In which case you are much much better off with the Starlet engine I suggested first, thus the thread could have been closed after the third post.

Tuning VAG engines is a massive pain in the aRSe. They are riddled with extra gubbins they don't even need and cause nothing but hastle!