Best diesel engines to remap

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I thought I would do an article with a list of the best deisel engines to remap with power gains, cost and performance stats.

What are your thoughts on this?

VAG 1.9PD (150bhp) > Remaps to around 190bhp (anyone know the Torque Figures)

We should probably have the Pug 2.2 and BMW diesel engine but IMO the longer the list the better.

So which diesel engines with remaps give the best bang per buck?

1.9 ARL engine is something like 300 - 320ftlb depending on map
Audi (doesnt seem avalible through the rest of the vag range) 3.0 TDI - around 270bhp and over 400ftlb
BMW 3.0 single turbo diesel gives similar figs
not sure on the twin turbo

The 3.0 twin turbo BMW unit (335d and 535d) can be taken to 345bhp and 511lbft (source: Celtic Tuning).

(I wish BMW would revert to their standard and use the last two digits to denote engine size. It's confusing because the 525d 530d and 535d are all straight 6, 24 valve 3.0 litre diesels. A 520i is actually 2.2, 523i is a 2. 5 etc etc.)

VAG PD150 goes to over 300lbft

found some figures that are RR confirmed for the 1.9 VAG engines mix of 130 and 150 engines.

250bhp and 400ftlb
248 and 377
230 and 344
from a 130
247 and 355
from a 150

VAG 2.0TDi (PD and CR) 167hp > 211hp; 258lb-ft > 351lb-ft

That's a straight remap from Celtic, they can take the PD to 300hp with some more indepth work.

I haven't gone into that, I have a CR :???:

I suspect it's doable (I note with intrest how the figures before and after are identical).

Celtic's silly 300bhp 1.9 definitely used a hybrid turbo with cut back vanes. I think there were also some substantial changes to the cooling system and oil cooling arrangements.

that was on the 1.9 thought it was them that had played with the 2.0.

not sure if oil cooling is really required most od the 1.9s i put above dont seem to have oil coolers and those who do only see the valves are open when its on a track

Golf GT TDi PD 150 (that's a bit of a gobfull)

The only problem with the 4 cylinder PD engines is that they're a bit coarse compared to the French offerings.

thanks for responses.
very interesting with regards to DTUK tuning box - I take it that it was a box and not an ecu remap.
that seems like quite a leap for a tuning box - 56bhp. Was this a quoted fiqure or obtained from a rolling road?
Do you have a torque increase figure

Quoted website figure, but these boxes are renouned for making MORE power than their website states. A couple of the van owners with same engine were set on the lower powered map and made 210bhp. These are the good boxes with PROPER software not the cheap ebay #!#!#!#!.

If you go on Astra owners network, more of the diesel boys are running a DTUK box than a remap because they are simply awesome!

Andy (DTUK guy) is great and is on the phone 24/7 to assist you, really cannot recommend them enough. Fantastic product!

Nope, no particle filter on the CDTi whether mine was too early to have one I don't know? (Seat introduced them to the Ibiza pd in late 2005)

The problem the Fiat/Vauxhalls face is the EGR valve and inlet manifold (swirl flaps) which is a costly repair (around £1200 I believe). I'm also lead to believe Vauxhall introduced a self cleaning EGR valve to as it is a known design fault.

My Kia 1.6 CRDi was mapped from 89 - 125 but can go up to 140 without any mods.

and from what i remember seeing on the internet the 2.0 CRDi (140 std) can go up to 190bhp, though i've yet to meet someone with a remapped 2.0.

That does sound about right. My deceased 2.2 Peugeot went from 136 to 190 without any issues and dished out outrageous in gear torque and pull.

Argh! I just wish it wasnt just after christmas, I'd be booking my Pug in for its remap whilst typing this!

Nah, your boys in OBD regularly cailbrate there rolling road. its very acurate

A standard Focus ST was put on the rollers and the power came up at 223bhp, book says there 225, so i think its pretty acurate, plus when mine was done the before test came up at 93bhp book says my car is 89 Standard

If you have a look at there website or see there threads on RMS you'll see there rollers are pretty acurate, unlike others

I dont trust rolling roads, the way the car drives is what I think is important. A live map is the best money can buy in my opinion, a proper custom map in real conditions mapped to how you personally drive. expensive, but in my opinion worth it.

does anyone have any knowledge on tuning the renault dci engines?
i have a 2003 renault megane 1.9130 dci (6 speed) sport tourer (estate).
i cant find much information on what can be done to these engines without sacrificing reliability too much?
Does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks

does anyone have any knowledge on tuning the renault dci engines?
i have a 2003 renault megane 1.9130 dci (6 speed) sport tourer (estate).
i cant find much information on what can be done to these engines without sacrificing reliability too much?
Does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks

I doubt you'll sacrifice much reliability - the Renault diesels seem to offer enough problems in stock tune anyway.

Celtic Tuning should be able to get about 170bhp from your engine without any compromise in reliability.

the biggest problem with the 1.9 dci engines is the turbo, its a really poor one, taking the turbo from the 175dci will be more reliable, plus you can get abit more power out of it that way.

my 82bhp went up to 103 after it was mapped

Sounds about right.

Car makers do undertune their turbo-diesel models very significantly. Part of the justification is to ensure 100% reliability during the warranty period. This is especially true in the UK - as a nation of car owners we're not known for our attention to regular servicing.

The other reason is that the car makers have to make a space in the market for petrol models - no maker want to be seen selling a diesel car that completely eclipses it's petrol stablemate in performance terms.

Can't be a particularly well setup engine in the first instance if there's 154bhp worth of slack built in.
It would appear that dodge make two variations of the same engine, a 305bhp and a de-tuned version with 250bhp, so its the same chip for both. so 115bhp increase on the 305bhp engine, but still good value for money at $360.

Last edited: