Torque Cars

Best 1 series engine for tuning

Discussion in '1 series' started by obi_waynne, 15 February 2010.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    What do you think is the best 1 series engine from a tuning point of view?

Has anyone on here done an engine swap with something from a 3 series?

2. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    123d in my opinion.

3. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    I guess you're thinking remap then. What are the gains on offer then? (MPG will still be ridiculously high)

4. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    It's quite impressive as it is. The twin turbo 123d is worth 204bhp standard. Impressive for a 4 cylinder diesel. Celtic (my favourite reference source, as you know) quotes 269bhp and 373lbft.

Thing is that BMW does fit straight six petrol engines to the 1-series so I'd like to see the 2.9 litre diesel from the 335d if it would fit in.

If not then I think the I6 135i twin turbo will have the most potential but it's so bloody quick anyway is there any satisfaction from tuning it?

5. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    That is indeed impressive, I had completely overlooked the 1 series.

There is always satisfaction in getting more power!

6. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    To a point. But if you're simply giving the traction control even more work to do and not improving the performance at all then it's a bit pointless. :)

7. Gangplank

Gangplank Newbie

Car:
    135i
    135i. Especially the n54. I have the n55 it's 300 hp stock and w/ the BMW Performance tune (aka the 135is) tune in at 320 hp & 320 tq. With Cobb flash or Dinan glad it bumps to 360+ The charge pipe is the weak link so with a tune it needs to be replaced. Other useful upgrade is the FMIC to avoid heat soak.