Benefits of triple plate clutches

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
There are loads of clutches to choose from. What are the pros and cons of triple plate clutches? What about the different materials they are made from, is this all that important?

Multi-plate clutches are used generally for racing applications when it comes to cars. I've never [knowingly] driven a car with a multi-plate clutch but I'm led to believe that the takeup is very fierce and the pedal pressures are high. Yet stangely I'd have thought the opposite would be apply.

Perhaps this is not because it's a multiplate clutch but because it's a high performance clutch, which is always going to be bitier than a standard item.

Last edited:
The release bearings, springs and clutch pedal all come into play here. Generally I think a triple plate clutch would be too severe and on off in nature for a under 250bhp car and would be hard to use in stop start traffic.

They do give terrific byte and transmission losses are lower during gear changes with a triple plate clutch.

The release bearings, springs and clutch pedal all come into play here. Generally I think a triple plate clutch would be too severe and on off in nature for a under 250bhp car and would be hard to use in stop start traffic.

They do give terrific byte and transmission losses are lower during gear changes with a triple plate clutch.

Clutches are rated for flywheel torque. Peak bhp alone does not affect a clutch. This is the reason that some modestly powered diesels have uprated clutches over their petrol counterparts. It's also the reason they pull so hard in the midrange.

triple , and twin plate clutches are used for higher power engines although it is torque not bhp that eats cluches.

I would also say that it isnt the fact that its a multiplate clutch that makes the pedal hard its the spring pressure. You need more to control more power.

A lot of cars that have twin/triple plates will have the option of an uprated slave cylinder to make it physically easier for the driver. My clutch was seriously hard work untill I fitted a nismo slave cylider - it now feels almost normal.

I have an Alcon twin plate clutch for the Elan. No single plate clutch that would fit the Cosworth flywheel could take the power.

Getting the pedal and MC/SC ratios right will go a long way towards keeping the pedal pressure reasonable.

The only stipulation my wife made is that she should be able to drive the car when it is finished. My original set up (back in 1985) with the Lotus twin cam engine used a single plate paddle clutch and she could hardly depress the pedal :)

Well OG, considering everything that your poor lady has had to put up with regarding your car with all of it's high's and low's! Not an unreasonable request I think from your better half! :)

I have just shown my 'better half' your comment and she said, 'Oh, I like him!" :)

I helped my mate take the engine out of his Honda Fireblade not too long ago as he needed to rebuild the gear box as the baring were buggered, (it's one unit can't just take the gearbox out) and when we took the clutch out, it had 9 plates?!?!?! Seriously i counted them, but they were very small.

A twin plate clutch should be a good alternative to a single padel clutch for everyday useablity I would have thought.

A twin plate clutch should be a good alternative to a single padel clutch for everyday useablity I would have thought.

I would not recommend a multiplate clutch for everyday use unless a single plate clutch can't handle the power. They don't like being slipped so make driving in traffic hard work.

a exedy triple plate carbon jobby to be exact.

dont know its limit but it takes launches on boost without a problem and doesnt slip at all
I wouldnt all it brutal It is actually very light to use - only a tad heavier than a standard GTR clutch. It does however have a narrow bite .and is either on or off