Benefits and drawbacks of engine water injection systems

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
You've finished tuning up your engine but you find that at full throttle the engine splutters or stalls. When you get the car on a diagnostic you find that the knock sensor is kicking in to protect the engine. Engine knock is a condition where the fuel inside the engine ignites prematurely and occurs within an engine running at high compression. (It can also be caused by other factors including low octane/poor quality fuel or hot spots within the engine.)

Continue reading... or post your comments below on this article.

Don't believe that anything can be made completely foolproof.( fools can be so inventive )

The thought of a leaky WI nozzle and the engine starting up with a belly full of uncompressable H2O makes it a no no for me.

Don't believe that anything can be made completely foolproof.( fools can be so inventive )

The thought of a leaky WI nozzle and the engine starting up with a belly full of uncompressable H2O makes it a no no for me.

Nothing is foolproof, agreed but, hopefully, we don't fall into that category :)

Water injection is a common practice on highly tuned engines, especially Cosworth YB turbos. I have never heard of an injector causing water flooding problems. The injectors used are basically fuel injectors and you don't hear of these filling cylinders with fuel. When the engine is off the water and fuel pumps are off.

Water injection is part of the exteme tuners arsenal, not much use for standard or lightly tuned engines.