Bedding in brake pads

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
I do it as per instructions every time new pads are fitted.
I know that some pads claim that no bedding in required BUT IMO they need to wear in to the discs to get full contact across the friction surface to gain maximum braking effort especially if the discs were not machined to remove scoring /grooves etc.

Wonder how many are aware of this as I am thinking that the general run of motorists are blissfully unaware of this ?

FYI http://www.dba.com.au/tech-article-t017-basic-initial-brake-bed-in-street/

Last edited:
I brake gently against the engine at first then do a couple of emergency stops of increasing severity.

Most pads I've fitted bit pretty well from the start on worn discs.

What method of break in do you use? (Interested in other members opinions on this one.)

Last edited:
The one in the article that I posted :)

There is a heap of technical info on that site for those who want to expand their knowledge on the subject ;)

I personally have absolutely no idea. I get my high performance new pads and discs fitted by the same garage who built the Beast, they sort this all out for me and the car is good to go when I leave them in the afternoon after consuming copious amounts of coffee and blueberry muffins. |B

:lol: Cheers Rad, I think that a visit to a garage should always be an enjoyable experience, especially if the crew like the car owner ;)

I drive a little way doing normal braking. Then I find somewhere safe and do 4 or 5 60mph-20mph brakes in succession.

Then just drive normally.

Seems to work ok.

IMO the best thing you can do to help bed in brakes is a proper clean of mating surfaces and pad runners, and then the correct grease on the pad runners - NOT copper grease. Copper grease is not a lubricant, it is an anti-seize compound. Put copper greases on the mating faces of wheel hub to disc and disc to wheel. For pad runners use a proper high temp brake caliper grease.

If I fit new pads without changing the discs then I spend a lot of time taking off the discs and cleaning them up. Chip off the rust around the outer rim, file off the wear ridges and roughen up/clean off the disc surfaces starting off with 80 grit paper and finishing off with much smoother eg those little emery cloth faced sponge pads you can buy in the pound store.

I'm not a great fan of "burning in" new pads when I've fitted new discs although I know them that likes to burn the discs blue. Pad manufacturers themselves advise to avoid heavy until pads have naturally bedded in. I'm talking about normal road use, I believe it's quite different if you're going to use the car on the track.