Battery information

Aerial Andy944

The Torque Meister
Car
VW Golf GT TDi 200
My battery on my Primastar is not holding as much charge. It's the original one fitted in 2005 so I take it it's done well. Question is I understand the 80ah starting bit and to get one same dimensions but what does the other information mean. I see a CCA rating ranging from 600 to 800 on batteries, what do I need for my van? Will a higher amperage be better or worse? I've never had a vehicle long enough to ever have to get a replacement battery so this is a bit new to me ?-/
My battery has this label
IMAG1063_zpsip6vhnwg.jpg

It relates to the cranking power of the battery, the amount the battery can supply from -18c. Bigger = more durable and longer lasting IMO.

CCA - Cold cranking amperes is the power a battery can deliver at -18c for 30 seconds providing 1.2 volts per cell minimum so 7.2 volts for a 12 volt car battery. High CCA means you get more chances to run the starter motor before the battery dies.

From what I can see i'd say that the current battery is
CA 720
CCA 580
The CA is generally higher than the CCA. Ca is measure of electric current in the battery, taken at freezing point.

Ah now things making sense. So I can get a 640CCA battery for around £70, a 700 CCA for around £100 and a 800CCA battery for £140. There're all 80ah so is there much difference between these CCA figures? I suppose I'm asking is it worth the extra money for the bigger CCA figure

If it's diesel, you run air conditioning on cold all the time and have heavy demands on your battery go for the higher limit, if you don't have heavy demands then you are paying for spare capacity which you'll never need. The higher capacity battery may last a little longer say 10 years instead of 7.