Bargains around £3,995 Volkswagen Phaeton 3.2 V6

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Yes you can pick up a car which cost over £70,000 just a few years ago for less than £4?

Is this the bargain it seems? The Bentley engine really adds value to the package.

That is one hell of a car for the money, I remember Jezza doing a report about it on Top Gear and he had precious little to moan about if memory serves me correctly.

The 3.2 V6 isn't a Bentley engine. It a Passat unit. Plus do you really want a 1.3 GL Phaeton? :D If I ever went near one (unlikely) then I'd go for the V10 TDi PD model. The V10 engine sounds like someone gently squashing a bag of ready salted crisps under a winter weight duvet.

Aye, the 3.2 is the standard VAG lump.

Still a good engine though, but not hugely fast in an enormous Phaeton.

That said I've always liked the concept of hugely-specced mainstream cars.

Skoda Superb appealed for that, in L&K trim, with the 3.6V6.

Aye, the 3.2 is the standard VAG lump.

Still a good engine though, but not hugely fast in an enormous Phaeton.

That said I've always liked the concept of hugely-specced mainstream cars.

Skoda Superb appealed for that, in L&K trim, with the 3.6V6.
Stick the engine in a smaller car and have loads of fun. It would probably fit in an A4 platform or similar. You'd have an awesome car and if you paid £5k for the donor car and only kept the engine it would be a good value upgrade! ;)

^ ^ Same ^ ^ VW has got very pretentious about its brand image. The cars are nowhere near as well designed, engineered and assembled as something from BMW or Mercedes-Benz. They need to stop the pretentious pricing.

Besides. £70k used cars,however cheap still have relevant £70k bills for servicing and repairs

I agree. I took on a £41k 5 series as a £4k second hand buy and that was very forgiving. BMW's models do make good sense used compared to VW's. In my experience. But I also fared will with a Fiat, two Rover Montegos, a new Nissan Primera, a used Peugeot 406 and a brace of Seat Ibizas. Passat 2.0 TDI is a bastard of a car.