AWD/4x4 conversion

J

JagXK8

Hi and hello,

Upgrading my Jaguar XK8 from Nov. 2000 with various parts , such as the air cooling system, ECU, limited slip differential, brakes would that optimise my car's performance only or would it also improve fuel consumption?

Another question - it is possible to turn my XK8 from rear-wheel drive into all-wheel/4X4 drive? If so, what is the process and cost involved?

Kim

Hello and welcome to the site mate

generally speaking improving the performance will have an adverse effect on fuel consumption. saying that the diff and brakes are going to do nothing to mpg unless they are lighter or heavier than standard. but then unless its a lot your unlikely to notice

the ECU im guessing will be mapped differently, you may find that it is thirstier on short runs but more economical on long motorway cruises.

a 4x4 conversion will make the car drink more however.
mmm suppose the conversion is like a turbo conversion, yes it is possible but the price would outweigh the point. it might be cheaper selling the XK and buying a AWD version - did they make one in the XK ? - as you may find there are quite a few differences between the RWD and AWD models

I like the passion, but I would advise against it. If you don't know what your doing, it will never be right, or if you get a garage to do it, they will charge you ££££££££££.

I admire your passion, but you really should learn a bit more about how cars work before thinking about projects like that. Everything is possible mechanically, but the cost would most likely be several times the value of the car. The reason is that there are no Jaguars with 4WD, except the petrol X-Types, and those have an engine much smaller than your car: 2.5 or 3-litre V6. So, there are no Jaguar transmission that would fit, and no front axle for your general size that could accomodate front halfshafts. So, this would mean using parts from a different manufacturer. The obvious choice would be a Land rover, or Range Rover, preferably one with the same engine as your car, if such a thing exists (can you tell I`m not into offroads???:)...and there would still be lots of hard hurdles to conquer: physical size of the components, electronic management boxes for the transmission and engine, reinforcing the monoxcoque to withstand the stresses of traction on the front wheels, etc., etc., etc....not simple, not easy, not cheap. But possible, yes...theoretically.

My guess is that, for a small fraction of the money and time it would take to pull of a project like that, you could improve your car in other areas immensely and end up with a car that is faster and better to drive anywhere, except in the wet and on snow.

Just my opinion.

DF

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back