Audi S3 1.8t tuning project

Kibido

Wrench Pro
Car
Audi S3 1.8t
Hi there, I recently bought an old S3 (2000) with 87'000km on it and it's been a great move from my Peugeot 206 GTi. I've had a lot of fun with my first turbo for three months now, but here I am already wanting more power. My only issue with this car is the weight. I love and NEED that diff in the rear (since I live in the mountains and it's very snowy) but at the same time I hate it because it's sucking so much performance with the extra 300kg...
So my first question here is, can my car go on a diet? All I can think of now is removing the spare tire, replacing those heavy Recaro seats and removing the A/C that I NEVER use. EVER.
Would doing this affect the performance in some way? Or is it useless and it's better to add horses?
About that I've had some mixed opinions here in Italy. People who have said "don't touch it, the car is way to delicate and old, you'll brake it" and people who have said "yeah we can tune it". However who said it was tunable offered me no more than a 60-70hp upgrade. The plan is to slam in the 2006 S3 turbo, upgraded intercooler, reinforced clutch, new exhaust for better sound and an ECU remap to finish it up. This for about 4600$. Basically another car :p
I am gladly willing to spend that kind of money to reach 280hp, but my question is, will the engine hold it? It's 14 years old and has 91'000km on it now, am I going to blow everything up after two days or could I add even more power? Am I going to feel a lot of difference from 210 to 270-280hp?
What do people do to their cars to add 300hp? I'm struggling here to gain less than 100...

Thank you in advance...

i had the same car a few years back and got it re-mapped from 210 to 250 bhp and you can tell the difference. mine had over 100,000 miles and still pulled strong these engines can take 300bhp i wouldnt take it much more over without a forged re-build

your s3 has the k04 turbo and will map to around 260hp & 280lbft of torque with no upgrades needed. If you really want to reach 280hp you will need to upgrade your intercooler, FPR, exhaust, airfilter and a custom remap.
But here is the limit of your turbo, engine and clutch before you need to start upgrading. All of this is also depending on the condition of the engine. Do you know the history of the car?

your s3 has the k04 turbo and will map to around 260hp & 280lbft of torque with no upgrades needed. If you really want to reach 280hp you will need to upgrade your intercooler, FPR, exhaust, airfilter and a custom remap.
But here is the limit of your turbo, engine and clutch before you need to start upgrading. All of this is also depending on the condition of the engine. Do you know the history of the car?

I'm the third owner. First dude was a guy born in 1942 who's probably dead now, and the one from whom I bought the car used it as a second car, meaning he drove it occasionally for small trips just to have a bit of fun. The engine is clean and makes no weird sounds, and the car itself is in great condition. Anyway I tend to be a sort of maniac with "maintenance": never go over 3000rpm until the engine has reached 90° and oil has done it's job, and even if I use the car for 30ft I wait 30 seconds before turning it off every time.
The previous owner remapped the engine because he felt the car died a bit in 4th-5th and 6th gear; unfortunately I don't know how many horses it has gained, all I know is that it was done by some very capable guys here in Piemonte aiming for the last gears. It also has a BMC air filter (in the original box).
If I find out that this car has been remapped to even 260bhp then I'm going to punch myself in the face. The car is quick but I'm absolutely not satisfied. 0-60 is around 6.5 secs.
I think I'll go for the 280 upgrade. I mean f*** it, I'm begging for horsepower, I might as well.
What is the FPR? Do you think the 2006 model turbo swap is a good idea?
Something else they offered me is... very hard to explain for me since I know very little about cars. Basically he said something about lubricating, refining the current turbo so it can hold more air, and maybe putting different rotors in it... I'm not so sure, I didn't grasp the idea that much but the point is refining the current turbo. What do you think?

i had the same car a few years back and got it re-mapped from 210 to 250 bhp and you can tell the difference. mine had over 100,000 miles and still pulled strong these engines can take 300bhp i wouldnt take it much more over without a forged re-build

Hi, thanks for the reply. Great, I guess I won't go over 300 then. Can you advise anything about the weight loss?
Other opinions are much appreciated, like upgrading something I didn't mention before or whatever. I want to reach at least 280bhp, but if I do I want a proper build. If something else has to be reinforced to avoid destroying the engine then I'm gonna save up money for it.