Audi a4 oil light on! Help needed :(

hartnell1983

Car
audi a4 sline 1.8t
Hi im new to this forum and in need of a little advise if anyone can help.
I drive an audi a4 estate 1.8t 2004 190 sline model
This time last year my oil light came on and I ended up breaking down! after being recovered and dropped to my local garage it turned out I needed a new oil pump, I had that done and new oil new sensor ect put in, but over the following year the light has come on every so often and gone back out (not stayed on) but only 2 days ago it started coming on all the time and sometimes staying on!!! ive taken it back to the garage and he gave the engine a oil flush again and fitted a new sensor but its not cured the problem my mechanic is now thinking about takeing the oil filter off and cleaning the pipe behind but before I let him do that I was wondering if a slight oil leak could cause this issue of the warning light coming on as I seems I have a slight leak coming from the rocker cover?
Any help or advise would be great thanks you

My guess would be the oil pick up pipe I had the same issue on my leon (same engine as yours) a few years ago you can clean them but iirc the part is only £20 so I just bought a new one and it sorted the issue out

Hi thanks for the reply's I will get the oil feed pipe checked asap the leak is coming from the rocker cover at the back of the engine its dripping onto the manifold and sometimes blowing into the car! so that will be the next thing to get sorted

Greetings hartnell1983 and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

This sounds like the oil sludge build up issue, run the engine oil through with a decent flusher, get it all the gunk out and put in the correct grade of oil and see how you get on. Is the turbo running ok?

Poor quality /cheap home brand oils do not have the staying power of top quality oils and are more likely to gunk/sludge up so I would use a quality engine flush like LIQUI MOLY and check what comes out then fill with a good grade/brand oil and see if that helps.
It goes without saying that you need a quality filter as well as the turbo bearing oil supply can easily be restricted or blocked leading to expensive repairs.
IF you have a turbo I recommend you remove the inlet to it and check the freeplay in the bearings by feel and IF the compressor wheel touches the sides then it needs fixing NOW before there is too much damage to the wheel and housing.