Torque Cars

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

At Last!. I have started on my car ;-) PART 2

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by pgarner, 18 February 2009.

1. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    The experimental master cylinder reservior arrived today. Needed to check that the aluminium used is suitable for welding before buying another two. Cut it down to size and thinned the walls and cap. Original weight 227gms, now weighs 97gms, 31 of which are in the steel fitting so I will make some aluminium ones :) It welded fine so I will order two more. The shortened height will help in fitting them under my legs in the floor. Also saves around 400gms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    After an hour and a half of sanding and trimming, the boot finally came out! Next job is to tidy the filler up and infill some voids. Then I have to decide on a gap width and set about sanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    New pedal box arrived yesterday. Very well built but heavier than claimed. Website says 2.8kg but it is a little over 3.4Kg

However, there is a lot of scope for lightening so I will attack it over the next couple of weeks.

Dry fitting box confirmed that it has to be recessed into the floor. I will also see if I can move the bulkhead/wheel well forward 20-30mm.

[​IMG]

Modified master cylinder reservoir (shortened and lightened)) fits but was a little high so I reduced length of fitting. Every little helps. I will be replacing them with aluminium ones as soon as my 5/8" die arrives [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, there is no guarantee that the reserviors will remain where they are. It depends on how they interact/interfere with my feet.

4. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Things don't always go to plan. I was modifying the next two master cylinder reservoirs yesterday. First one went fine and so did the second one until I relaised that I had made it slightly too tall. So back on to the lathe it went. I had to hold it internally in order not to risk damage to the thread but this hadn't been a problem, I just had to be circumspect and gentle with my tool feed. This time, however, I must have got just a little bit too ambitious and twang! it flew out of the jaws and ended up like this. Oh, well, not the end of the world :)

[​IMG]

5. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    You be careful now Steve, don't want to see you injured sir.

6. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Thank you for your concern Os, but my beautiful face is well protected and the rest of me can look after itself :)

7. stamford

stamford Pro Tuner

Hampshire
    Car:
    MG ZS200
    Doesn't take much for something to pick up and throw itself out of the chuck when working with such thin walled parts. That's why it's important to wear safety glasses and good fitting underwear!

8. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Pro Tuner

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Sometimes familiarity breeds contempt OR complacency especially when one has done things 100's of times.
    I only had an accident with any power tool, a grinder long after I stopped building.
    Take care Steve as I'm sure all who have followed your epic build want you succeed and set the time for the fastest Elan on the planet.

9. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Thanks for your concern. My Dad was an engineer and instilled a healthly respect for machines into me. I wear a full face shield when cutting or grinding. When grinding I also wear safety glasses under the shield as sparks manage to get under even this!

stamford and TCJBOLDIE like this.
  10. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Design change with regard to fluid reservoirs. They will be in the way on the floor, wherver I fit them so a rethink was required. After a lot of thought (wanted to keep them out of the engine bay) I decided to place them behind the dash on an opening bracket. Playing with SketchUp I have come up with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New pedal box arrived, but, at 3.4Kg, it was 600gms heavier than advertised :-(. After a lot of milling and drilling it is now 2.9Kg:

[​IMG]

The master cylinders were facing the wrong way so new holes had to be drilled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As gettng to the bolts would be a pain when installed I welded them in. I also welded on nuts over all the fixing holes, thereby making fitting and removal a breeze (relatively).

I have had to lower the box into the floor in order to get enough pedal clearance. This has worked out Ok.

[​IMG]

My hydraulic handbrake is designed for cars with no central console as you have to lift a small bar to release it. After some thought I have built and electric mechanism that lifts the bar when a button fitted to the handbrake it pressed. Like normal cars but electric rather than mechanical. The soleniod is tiny (top one) - 16mm x 14mm x 20mm and is just powerful enough.

[​IMG]

Proof of concept was done using the larger soleniod:

The smaller one just fitted between the case and the master cylinder rod.

11. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Bloody expensive, but I like these latches. A pair used to secure central console. Had to make a couple of brackets to fit the latch pins to. I also reduced the diameter of the latches to 27mm. Why? Because I can [​IMG]

The bolt securing the rear latch tube to the chassis is aluminium but the bolt holding the front bracket needed to be stronger so is titanium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Pro Tuner

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    If or when the Elan gets "finished"you will be lost for something to do with all the spare time you will have;)

Am still envious of all your skills you have shown throughout the build |B

I would have thought you would have described your face as "ruggedly handsome" :)

13. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    As you well know, a race car is never finished. I already have plans :)

They are all 20 feet skills :)

14. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Fluid reservoir holder fabricated. Just needs a hinge, a little more sanding, perspex windows and cross hatching on the front (when new engraving cutter arrive) to disguise the iffy machining. It bares a vague resemblance to the SketchUp drawing The screws are a tad long (hence the extra washers) but this will be rectified (As Colin Chapman was heard to say many times, "Never take a washer for a free ride"). This will be located in the dash, so it can be seen by driver without contravening FIA and MSA regs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Update time.

Fluid reservoirs fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then on to my personal Elephant in the room, the steering column. I thought that this was going to be a bit of a mission, requiring two UJs with accompaning support and bearings. However, it turned out to be simpler than I feared. Only required one helicopter joint and a simple U clamp secured to the horisontal roll cage tube. A friend brought round a 32mm U clamp with a flat curved part so I didn't even need to make a spreader to stop clamp from squashing the aluminium column surround. I now just need to make a curved support for the bottom of the column surround and a bracket to weld to the cage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Just in case I have to back light the fluid reservoirs. 62p from China including P&P [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Finally, after a lot of head scratching and numerous emails to the distributor, I have a working reservoir holder door latch.

T9 man likes this.
  18. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Having learnt how to fit the latches, the boot was a breeze. What do you think about the panel gap? What gap? I hear you ask. Precisely, I reply [​IMG] Not finished, but pretty tight methinks. I like it anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Handbrake gaiter trial fit after modification. Just sitting in place so not precisely lined up with console. Brush is from a domestic draught excluder.

[​IMG]

20. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    I love the draught excluder addition, a nice touch |B

21. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Pro Tuner

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Necessity is the mother of invention :)|B

22. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Now, what does a weight obsessed anal retentive do when he has a few minutes spare and doesn't want to start something too complicated? He does some weight reduction of course.

To that end I decided to have a go at the steering column clamp. This clamp allows column length adjustment as well as allowing it to collapse in the event of a front end shunt. The column now has a kink in it so it is probably not now required but I an keeping it both for the adjustment and extra safety.

However, it is bloody heavy at 174gms! A quick session on the mill, shortening the grub screw and replacing bolts with titanium versions resulted in a reduction of 84gms, almost half [​IMG] The clamping plate fits properly when on the right way round.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Titanium steering column coming together. The original splined ends in the rack knuckle and quick release steering wheel hub have been retained for simplicity. The joints between steel and titanium will be strengthened with titanium sleeves. You can just see the clamp I modified earlier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needed fixings to hold dash panel in place. They have to be hand turnable as access will be limited (ie through glove box) so decided to make them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    What can happen if you cut titanium without coolant :)

25. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Been doing lots of small jobs so not a lot to show.

[​IMG]

wizzer and obi_waynne like this.