At Last!. I have started on my car ;-) PART 2

did you manage to get 190bhp from the original 1600cc Twin Cam? if you did that's a hell of an achievement!

the arches really suit the car and lend it that extra bit of width that it needed, the blended in bumpers look ace as well

did you manage to get 190bhp from the original 1600cc Twin Cam? if you did that's a hell of an achievement!

the arches really suit the car and lend it that extra bit of width that it needed, the blended in bumpers look ace as well

I was thinking the same thing about the 190BHP - Very impressive!

Weeelllll, it was actually stroked to 1760 using the taller 1600 block:) Weslake Engineering (one for the oldies on here) did the headwork fitting the biggest valves possible. Cams were Newman full race items (0.42" lift). Exhaust was full race spec. Fitted with a pair of Dell'Orto 45DHLAs (apparently slightly better than Webers in a straight line). steel crank, rods and flywheel. Quaife straight cut gearset and LSD.
Power at wheels measured as 168bhp. Assuming 12% powertrain losses this equates to 190bhp at the flywheel. I was quite pleased with it.

Ran (on street tyres and pump fuel) 12.92/119mph at the Pod in the early 80s. A better driver (my startline technique left a lot to be desired back then) would probably have been able to squeeze a few more tenths.

Last edited:
(I think) I know Weslake, they built the 289ci V8's in the 68/69 mk1 GT40 LeMans racers didn't they

I love old skool tuning nothing sounds sweeter to my ears than twin 45's :bigsmile:

I am not surprised that you don't know much about them as I doubt many made it over to your country. During the early years (60s and early 70s) almost half of the cars were exported to North America.

I was going to say the same, here Lotus are like a national institution but they never really made it anywhere else apart from America where they had some racing success with the Indy car series

I have been helping a friend build his Cleveland powered Ford Pop and it is payback time.

He is disappointed with my progress so has decided to take a week off and sort me out :)

I have a week to prepare - Get all the parts. bolts, cable, tubing, etc I need. He is coming over for a week starting Monday week and we will be doing long days just working on the car.

I will keep you all informed on progress :)

I am not surprised that you don't know much about them as I doubt many made it over to your country. During the early years (60s and early 70s) almost half of the cars were exported to North America.

yea, the only lotus in my town was an 2000 i think elise, that was owned from the towns nr.1 maffia badass, lol.

Very nice OG! :) Should it be my misfortune to come up against you on the track, try not to embarrass me too much please! Some dignity left for MY journey home, would be very much appreciated :bigsmile:

Just found this excellent thread,

I remeber weslake they made overbore kits and heads for bonnevilles . ( that is a british motorcycle if you are under 30 )

Going back to my old twin cam engine, I have been advised that power train losses to the back wheels is more like 25 than 12%. That makes the power at the flywheel 224bhp and that even impresses me! I was a better than I thought :)

Spent the last week (with my son) rebuilding two YB engines. Proceeds go towards this project :)

Listed the first one on Thursday evening and it is already up to over £2800!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320682320831&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

It's gone up a bit more now!

If there's one thing that narks me with ebay it's when people ask how much do I want/ expect for the item, I always reply it's an auction, make a bid & see what happens! :amuse:

Agreed, but it isn't eBay's fault, it's people looking to get something on the cheap. I tell them the same thing, adding that they might even get it cheaper! I have yet to have one of these chancers actually bid on an item.

Engine finally sold for £3655 to a guy in Australia. I will be wrapping it over the weekend in preparation for his courier to pick it up once payment has been received (bank transfer).

Second engine was listed on Monday, a pretty basic lump this time.

I will be paying my engine builder for the help, equipment, parts and workspace and my son who did most of the build (I did most of the cleaning), but that should still leave £2500 - 3000 for the car fund. Just enough (possibly) for the flat shift system :)

Friend arrived at 6.45am on Tuesday! We started the first dry build on the Elan at 7.05am

By 3.30pm we had suspension, engine, gearbox, diff and driveshafts installed.

We now know what nuts, bolts and other fixings we are missing.

Once the engine and gearbox were fitted a few issues arose. The engine sits at a fair angle in relation to the diff so the prop will somewhat bent. Also, the rear of the gearbox protrudes around 50mm below the chassis - not good!

I can raise the gearbox output shaft approx 30mm so it is nearly in line (mustn't be exactly in line). however this will mean cutting a chassis web so additional strengthing will have to be added to compensate. This will also reduce the underhang to around 20mm - managable with a skid plate.

Final photo shows a rod balanced between wishbones as we were deciding where to mount a front strut brace.

Attachments

• elan rebuild 26 April 2011.jpg
    elan rebuild 26 April 2011.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 16
  • elan rebuild 26 April 2011 (1).jpg
    elan rebuild 26 April 2011 (1).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 16
  • elan rebuild 26 April 2011 (7).jpg
    elan rebuild 26 April 2011 (7).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 11
  • elan rebuild 26 April 2011 (4).jpg
    elan rebuild 26 April 2011 (4).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 11
  • elan rebuild 26 April 2011 (9).jpg
    elan rebuild 26 April 2011 (9).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Wow this is looking great, starting to get an idea just how compact that chassis is. :)
Rather than using a skid plate could a flat plate be fitted under the whole car to smooth the air flow?

Wow this is looking great, starting to get an idea just how compact that chassis is. :)
Rather than using a skid plate could a flat plate be fitted under the whole car to smooth the air flow?

The underside of the car is already flat. Besides, a flat plate the size of the floor plan would almost double the weight of the car :)

However, I am going to have to compromise the underside flatness as I can't wear a crash helmet under the hardtop! As the floor is fibreglass it will be a simple task to cut a quare hole and lower the floor 30mm.

Progress Update

I have been playing with my milling machine :)

In the process of making a gearbox mount. More or less finished, just needs to be cleaned up (and maybe powder coated).

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1092&stc=1&d=1306184274

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1093&stc=1&d=1306184413

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1094&stc=1&d=1306184413

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1096&stc=1&d=1306185474

One of the brackets is on the wrong way round in the photo on the floor ;)

Looking to replace the rubber 'cotton reel' bushes with male studs on each end with poly versions, but I am having difficulty sourcing them. Anybody have any suggestions? However, please don't suggest Superflex or Powerflex as I have already tried them :)

Powerflex are prepared to make specials but these would cost around £200 for 4. May well end up there if no one on here can help!

Attachments

• elan gearbox mount 23052011.jpg
    elan gearbox mount 23052011.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 9
  • elan gearbox mount 23052011 (1).jpg
    elan gearbox mount 23052011 (1).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 10
  • elan gearbox mount 23052011 (2).jpg
    elan gearbox mount 23052011 (2).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 9
  • elan gearbox mount 23052011 (3).jpg
    elan gearbox mount 23052011 (3).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
have you considered making or reinforcing the current rubber ones with sikaflex??
i know its a cheap option but alot of people rate it.

I have seen this done, but these are already solid so there is nowhere to put the stuff :)

Solid, as in no holes. I am looking for more stiffness.

sorry i realised after reading again:embarrest: but as i was editing i saw you had already posted.

what dimensions do you need??
cause i have some 45mm OD wishbone bushes (not sure on other dimensions without checking) you could have for cheap just like these
PFF3-501.jpg

Gearbox mount complete, apart from tidying up.

Started on alternator bracket and adjuster this evening.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1101&stc=1&d=1306443866

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1102&stc=1&d=1306443893

Question. In order to accurately adjust the alignment of the pulley, I have two options. I can either widen the slot into which the alternator is secured and adjust with shims or make the bracket fixing holes into slots so the bracket can be adjusted relative to the block. Which would you do?

Attachments

• elan alternator bracket 26052011.jpg
    elan alternator bracket 26052011.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 7
  • elan alternator bracket 26052011 (1).jpg
    elan alternator bracket 26052011 (1).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 7
Gearbox mount complete, apart from tidying up.

Started on alternator bracket and adjuster this evening.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1101&stc=1&d=1306443866

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1102&stc=1&d=1306443893

Question. In order to accurately adjust the alignment of the pulley, I have two options. I can either widen the slot into which the alternator is secured and adjust with shims or make the bracket fixing holes into slots so the bracket can be adjusted relative to the block. Which would you do?

The latter for me every time!

Proof, if proof be needed, of how anal I am becoming about weight saving.

The original Elan engine was held in by the same design engine mounts that were used in an Anglia 105E, although one was altered to allow the engine to be tilted slightly so the DCOEs cleared the master cylinders. However, on the Elan, small steel spacers are required on one side as the block isn't symetrical but the chassis mounts are.

The Cosworth block is the same width as the Anglia block so these spacers are still required. Hwever, with the power I have on tap I wasn't happy with their spindly appearance so I decided to make a soild spacer. When it was finished it weighed 26 grammes more than the original spacers so I spent another hour on the milling machine until it weighed 16 grammes LESS :)

Sad? Certainly. Satisfying? Absolutely :)

A slightly more sensible weight saving was made on the new prop. Elite Racing Transmissions have commisioned Bailey Morris Ltd to make it for me (cheaper than I can get it from them). Bailey asked Elite whether I would like it lightened from 7 to 5Kg for an additional £30. Rob at Elite said (as he knows my thoughts on weight saving) that he was sure I would go with that so it is being made at the moment and I will hopefully pick it up at Santa Pod next week.

£30 for 2Kg saving is worth it, especially as it is rotating mass.

Attachments

• engiine mount spacer 28052011.jpg
    engiine mount spacer 28052011.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 8
  • engiine mount spacer 28052011 (2).jpg
    engiine mount spacer 28052011 (2).jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I'm getting very worried about you OG! But in a nice way :lol:

How much longer will it be before this automotive work of art is unveiled to the TC brethren then? :bigsmile:

I'M worried about me :)

An old racer friend said to me many years ago: 'once you have removed all of the easy weight the only way to remove a further 1kg is to remove 10grammes from a 100 places'.

A little more work on the spacer and it is now 26 grammes lighter :)

Now that I am back into the swing and getting on with it, I am hoping to be testing at Bruntingthorpe by the end of the year so it looks like we could be at the first Test and Tune Day at the Pod next year. I am not rushing it and it will be ready when it is ready.

Started on alternator bracket tonight and will be working on it all day tomorrow.

Last edited: