At Last!. I have started on my car ;-) PART 2

Nah, that's Ben. He is Nick's (Carbon Weezel) business partner. I was a little concenred that he had to use his middle finger, I was hoping he would be able to use his little finger :)

Off to the NEC for the Autosport Racing Car Show. We are driving up on Thursday and staying at a Travelodge so we are fresh for the show on Friday. We managed to blag tickets for the trade day so the Engineering Hall is full of engineering stuff rather than the T-shirt and toy sellers that fill it over the weekend.

I will be picking my sequential gearbox up, saving on shipping :) I will also be talking to as many flatshift suppliers as possible as I think I have to go this route along with a paddle shift system.

I will let you know what I bought :)

Off to the NEC for the Autosport Racing Car Show. We are driving up on Thursday and staying at a Travelodge so we are fresh for the show on Friday. We managed to blag tickets for the trade day so the Engineering Hall is full of engineering stuff rather than the T-shirt and toy sellers that fill it over the weekend.

I will be picking my sequential gearbox up, saving on shipping :) I will also be talking to as many flatshift suppliers as possible as I think I have to go this route along with a paddle shift system.

I will let you know what I bought :)

Good luck OG! let the haggling commence! :)

I went last year to this show and it was really good. I just haven't got round to organising it this year :(. There were some tasty cars going in the auction.

NEC was good, especially going on a Trade day as there were far fewer people than on the weekend.

Elite Racing had a flood over Christmas so box wasn't ready :-(

Didn't buy anything but made a couple of new contacts.

Spoke to Nick at Carbonweezel and doors should be ready by the end of January. I will post photos.

A last, I have my new gearbox!

Picked it up outside Holiday Inn Express near junction 15 on M1. Elite are in Stoke so we agreed to meet around half way. 3 hours 31 minutes round trip due to 50mph average speed cameras for over 20 miles.

They have used this model in a 24 hour race fitted to a 600bhp 1000kg TVR, so it should hold together in my toy :)

Box is an Elite IL3006S - Sequential 6 speed.

They have fitted the clutch release bearing and spaced it to my measurements so, hopefully, it should not need any adjustment. However, it can be shimmed if found necessary.

The bellhousing has been shortened so that I can fit the box into the existing chassis. I was surprised by the size of the end plate and asked about it. They have fitted bigger dog gears to better handle my proposed torque and decided to make sure the bellhousing wasn't the weak point. Rob at Elite did say I could drill holes in in but I think I will leave well alone for once.

I have used getting the box as the trigger point to get on with the car. I can now start to fit the drivetrain and engine. Once engine and box are in I can order the right length prop (from Elite). I think I have everything apart from hoses and cables which will made to size once everything is bolted into place.

More regular updates should be forthcoming from now on :)

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=894&stc=1&d=1299092183

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=895&stc=1&d=1299092183

Attachments

• elite box with gears.jpg
    elite box with gears.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 12
  • elite bellhousing.jpg
    elite bellhousing.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Very impressive OG! ;) Is the summer still looking good for completion?

As long as the summer stretches on and on and on and on.......... :)

Depends how often I can work on it, what problems I have yet to discover and finances (retiring is expensive, even for normal local authority workers).

However, there should be more updates on here and this acts as a spur in itself.

I was discussing progress on my Carbon Fibre doors with Nick from Carbon Weezel last week and he dropped a bombshell!

He reckons that the carbon weave will always show through the paint. Even McLaren and Ferrari have failed to hide CF under paint.

Bugger.

Last edited:
no idea about mclaren! but im sure ferrari didnt hide the cf under paint cause they where saving weight to the extreme. iirc it was on 5th gear?

but im pretty sure any good paint shop will be able to hide the cf under paint! all be it a few more coats than you anticipated.

id personally give timmy a pm and see for sure;)

no idea about mclaren! but im sure ferrari didnt hide the cf under paint cause they where saving weight to the extreme. iirc it was on 5th gear?

but im pretty sure any good paint shop will be able to hide the cf under paint! all be it a few more coats than you anticipated.

id personally give timmy a pm and see for sure;)

Good idea, I will give him a call.

He reckons that the carbon weave will always show through the paint. Even McLaren and Ferrari have failed to hide CF under paint.

Bugger.

keep it naked it'll look nuts anyway!, I quite like the fact that you can't hide it, it'll let everyone know what they're dealing with :lol::bigsmile:

The paint on the Ferrari F40 was really thin to keep weight to a minimum so you could see the weave of the carbon through it, if you do want it covered, a good few coats of grey primer and paint on top should sort that out but it kind of flys in the face of what you're doing with the car ;)

keep it naked it'll look nuts anyway!, I quite like the fact that you can't hide it, it'll let everyone know what they're dealing with :lol::bigsmile:

The paint on the Ferrari F40 was really thin to keep weight to a minimum so you could see the weave of the carbon through it, if you do want it covered, a good few coats of grey primer and paint on top should sort that out but it kind of flys in the face of what you're doing with the car ;)

That is exactly why I want to paint it, I DON'T want people knowing what they are dealing with :) Also I don't want to look like every other boy racer. I am not doing it for looks, it is purely for performance. Removing around 20% of the car's weight should help :)

If I was to leave the weave exposed, a lot more care would have to be taken in getting the joins right (body is to be made in 2 parts, split down the middle). Although Nick says there is no problem in doing this (and he would also prefer me to leave the weave exposed so the quality of his work is on show), the extra time adds quite a lot to the cost.

It also makes repairs difficult and expensive.

I know I am anal about weight, but the CF body removes around 90-100kg so a little paint I can live with :)

Ah, I see now, I hadn't realised you were building a sleeper, do you already know what you want the finished car to look like, colour wise?, true the paint will only add a couple of kilos, if that, to the overall weight especially since there won't/shouldn't be a need for any filler

Ah, I see now, I hadn't realised you were building a sleeper, do you already know what you want the finished car to look like, colour wise?, true the paint will only add a couple of kilos, if that, to the overall weight especially since there won't/shouldn't be a need for any filler

Well, a sort of a sleeper. It does have slightly flaired arches and a front splitter.

Black. I was going to do EVERYTHING black - body, wheels, trim, etc, but I then found out that this had become the 'murdered look' so I can't do it now as I would be following a trend :)

A bright colour, orange or yellow for the body and have all the trim and the wheels black plus showing a little bit of naked carbon for the wing mirrors or the splitter would look cool, imo.

I quite like the "murdered look" but it needs a big car, maybe even an estate to pull it off well I think.

Last edited:
ooh, ooh, ooh or even John Player Specials black and gold racing livery

good idea Waynne but it doesn't belong on a Lotus. Ford, Aston Martin or Porsche only for me

Last edited:
Over the last 5 years I have gone though every colour combination I can think of and keep coming back to black.

What model year is the car OG? I'm not even counting the front wheel drive 90's Elan but there were a few different body styles, the image I have in my head is the sprint, you know, the one with the white bottom half and gold bumpers.

elan I.jpg elan II.jpg

elan black.jpg jps elan.jpg

these are some pics I took in Forza3 based on the Elan Sprint, the orange one has a TRD logo on the side because it has the 1.8ltr supercharged VVTi engine from the Toyota Celica/Exige Cup 240, One in pure black and one in JPS colours (sort of)

just for fun, nothing else :bigsmile:

Last edited:
Mine is a 1967 Series 3 Special Equipment DHC. Very similar to the ones in the photos except these are Series 4. The main external difference being that the Series 4 has slightly flaired and squared arches.

What model year is the car OG? I'm not even counting the front wheel drive 90's Elan but there were a few different body styles, the image I have in my head is the sprint, you know, the one with the white bottom half and gold bumpers.

View attachment 962 View attachment 963

View attachment 961 View attachment 964

these are some pics I took in Forza3 based on the Elan Sprint, the orange one has a TRD logo on the side because it has the 1.8ltr supercharged VVTi engine from the Toyota Celica/Exige Cup 240, One in pure black and one in JPS colours (sort of)

just for fun, nothing else :bigsmile:

this is a very beautiful car, is this old-git how it is supposed to look?

No, this was just me playing around trying to get an acurate image of OG's car in my head and nothing at all to do with how OG will finish his car.

Not a million miles away :)

This is how it looked after being dragged out of the shed it had been in for 19 years and given a quick wash prior to being taken apart.

Notice the arches compared to the above pictures. Wheels will be similar but 16s and 17s. There is now a front splitter and the rear bumper has been fitted and blended into the body as has already been done to the front one.

The roll cage has been changed for one a little thicker.

So it will look pretty much like it does here but with a little more power than the 190ish it had before and a little lighter.

Attachments

• Elan before rebuild.jpg
    Elan before rebuild.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited: