Are you a good parker

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Are you getting better or worse at parking?

It's surprising how quickly you can get out of practice isn't it.

When I worked in the town and had to park on the street every day I only needed about 4 inches of gap to play with and no parking sensors. Now when I do it a lot less and have parking sensors I struggle to get into those tiny spaces!

Is it just me?

I can parallel park, but I'm now terrified of kerbing my wheels again, so if I can I will choose a space that is a bit longer than really needed.

What scares me is the new automated parking systems. A friend of mine recently passed his test and he said that parallel parking is being phased out of the test because it is not used as much! He can't park and relies on the automated thing in his car.

If I think the car i'm in will fit, it usually does.

I was always ok with parking. Any type of parking doesn't bother me at all.

If I ever go anywhere with my mum I always end up parking her X5 and I am use to normal cars not big 4x4's. And I turn the sensors off because they annoy me.

I can parallel park, but I'm now terrified of kerbing my wheels again, so if I can I will choose a space that is a bit longer than really needed.

I hear you LM, I am so paranoid about kerbing my wheels that I have worn out 3 electrically adjustable wing mirror door switches over the years due to my reversing in :lol:

What scares me is the new automated parking systems. A friend of mine recently passed his test and he said that parallel parking is being phased out of the test because it is not used as much! He can't park and relies on the automated thing in his car.

This is what I think is a classic example of what some/all of the gee wiz electronics in new cars is doing is contributing to the "lowering down of driver skills"

ABS,stability control,traction control,hill start assist etc are all there to help/save drivers who haven't learned to develop a feel what their car is doing in different driving conditions and can't be bothered learning or undergoing additional training .

Call me an old dinosaur living in the past if you must but I think it's sad but then that is what sometimes happens with a thing called "progress"

Gets down of hobby horse once more;)

Last edited:
I understand that totally Rad, I do think to myself what happens if someone from a modernised country goes on holiday to a country that is not as modernised and hires a car for the 1-2 weeks? Maybe enhanced insurance cover will be the way to go? Take care all ;)

I'm pretty decent with parking tbh. The only downside is it's been a long time since I've had a car with such a poor turning circle which means I don't always nail it at first guess swinging into spaces. I think I can be a bit over cautious because I don't want to damage it and want to leave a reasonable amount of room for the knuckle-dragging door-swinging loons in public car parks

Im horrible at parallel parking!
I live and work behind the wheel but this last week I had to parallel park and it occured to me I havent had to in ten years or so.

So I just wedged my van in there and left it hanging out in the street in some odd way.

Practice makes perfect as they say. It doesn't take long to lose a skill, but in fairness we can pick them up again more easily.

Must admit I'm not so good at parallel parking and, like others, am scared of rubbing the kerb. The width and length of the Focus seem to vary depending on some unknown factor! Don't like the narrow bays in supermarket car parks so park as far away from store as possible and nowhere near anybody else.

Must admit I'm not so good at parallel parking and, like others, am scared of rubbing the kerb. The width and length of the Focus seem to vary depending on some unknown factor! Don't like the narrow bays in supermarket car parks so park as far away from store as possible and nowhere near anybody else.
I hate those narrow bays. Perhaps the supermarkets will pay to repair all those little dings you get in the side of your car as people open their doors into your car.