Are the police too thinly stretched

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you see many police cars out on road patrols in your area?

I think we (in Kent) are seeing more and more camera enforcement areas and less and less road patrols, the officers left seem to be fully occupied with dealing with accidents and breakdowns in dangerous areas.

Unfortunately cameras can only detect speeding so we need more police on patrol to detect all the other antics like running lights ,failing to indicate properly,on phones,tailgating,dangerous overtaking, crossing double lines, poor lane control as well as motorists driving well below posted limits holding up others,failing to merge at speed to blend in seamlessly to the traffic flow etc etc that motorists do that IMO can be more life endangering than a few k's over the limit on a highway.

I do not condone speeding BUT do think that limits on some roads are posted too low and others too high.

IMO it is whatever speed the driver is doing without taking into account poor visibility in rain,snow,fog can be extremely dangerous.

Last edited:
Cameras have been used in the UK to spot seatbelt infringers and poor lane control (center lane hoggers and undertakers) although I think the latter is manually monitored.

I recall the story of the man who drove through a camera below the speed limit and it flashed him, he then did it again 3 more times to prove his point. All 3 times he was flashed. Then in the post he was notified that there are 3 pictures of him driving without a seatbelt! (could be an urban myth but I love the story anyway.)