Are modified cars really better

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Are modified cars USUALLY better than standard cars?

Do most turn out to be little more than customised to suit the owners requirements but a compromise in important areas (reliability, handling, performance or looks.)

Please explain your reasoning and list and pros or cons to modifying cars over and above buying a standard one.

I think the key work here is USUALLY, we see some exeptional cars through our pages but is this the normal result of a modified car project?

There are pros and cons with every car and they all differ. You could change the turbo on my car for a whapping 2.5 bar turbo and change the cams and it will go fine. If you were to do that on a 1.6 pug, then the engine would die.

Alloyes usually decrease the performance of the car I find. Why would miti spend £1000000 on testing performance, and fit the Evo's with 17" as standord if 18 and 19" handled better??

I had 18" alloys on my Mazda and it didn't handle at all.

they are worse most of the time

sure they spent £££££ on the engine to make it go faster and £££££ on the paint wheels and a stiff ride
but still have the poor brakes it did when it was made
if they do anything to the brakes they put braided hoses on thats it

do see it alot

Mine are :p I modify cars to improve them and see how much of an improvement I can make over standard. I try to look at the car as a whole package, for example I may be putting a Coupe engine in the Punto but I already have coilovers, uprated ARB's and Wilwoods (+ braided lines and ATE super blue fluid) to cope, plus I am planning to stitch weld the engine bay at some point due to the extra weight. Tell me that isn't better than standard?

Mine are :p I modify cars to improve them and see how much of an improvement I can make over standard. I try to look at the car as a whole package, for example I may be putting a Coupe engine in the Punto but I already have coilovers, uprated ARB's and Wilwoods (+ braided lines and ATE super blue fluid) to cope, plus I am planning to stitch weld the engine bay at some point due to the extra weight. Tell me that isn't better than standard?

standard is better :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::cheesy:

It depends on your definition of modifying i suppose.

Bodykits, Neons and an ICE install thats all about the bass ( not sound Quality ) = BAD, and more often than not, worse than a standard car.

But a car that has been tuned for more performance ( no 1.2's with induction kit and a backbox included!) , uprated brakes, suspension etc etc with a focus on Improving the cars abilities, of course it will be better.

a few examples, from cars i have previously owned:

corsa b:
DSC00156.jpg

1.4 sport with bodykit, bk alloys, lowered, induction kit, decat and backbox

standard crap brakes, cheapo suspension = #!#!#!#! car ( although i have to say it was a better job than most corsa B's you see! :lol: )

mk2 Golf Driver 1.8:
Photo0007.jpg

debadged grille, (various) alloys with toyo proxes T1R 195/50/15s, Lowered 80/70 on OE spec Boge turbo uprated suspension, uprated ARBs, Vented GTI brakes, braided hoses and 5.1 fluid, Panel filter, worked GTI head, cam, adjustable GTI distributor, Exhaust manifold and downpipe, stainless 2 3/8" exhaust system, GTI interior, GTI rear screen and spoiler.

Handled better than standard, went better than standard ( better than GTI in fact), braked better than standard, WIN WIN all round.

Any my current and next car are major improvements over their standard counterparts.

all depends on what you do, and the quality of how you do it!

Yes! My car drives WAY better than when it was stock... totally different car nowadays in how it feels.

Most mods are underneath - like music, it can be crap or good depends on your taste.

and yes.. Smaller alloys are better, why you think I have 17" OZ ? :)

IMG_4660.jpg

I get 'grass is greener' syndrome sometimes and can't help but modify every car I've had. Sometimes they turn out better, sometimes after a short while I realise I've made things worse.

A few prime examples...
> Fitted Coilovers to W8 - MUCH MUCH WORSE
> Fitted Cat-Back to R36 - WORSE

> Remapped R36 DSG Gearbox - BETTER
> Fitted 2 Piece Front Discs to W8 - BETTER
> Fitted Cat-Back to RS4 - BETTER

I get 'grass is greener' syndrome sometimes and can't help but modify every car I've had. Sometimes they turn out better, sometimes after a short while I realise I've made things worse.

A few prime examples...
> Fitted Coilovers to W8 - MUCH MUCH WORSE
> Fitted Cat-Back to R36 - WORSE

> Remapped R36 DSG Gearbox - BETTER
> Fitted 2 Piece Front Discs to W8 - BETTER
> Fitted Cat-Back to RS4 - BETTER

All part of the learning experience.

i know what you mean, i have been researching into air filters for my motor, and i was on a site where they tested different makes on the rolling road, they had a £190 kit that decreased your power and then they had a £99 pipercross induction kit that actually gave the car an extra 2bhp. but your find alot of standard componants are better then a modified part.

i know what you mean, i have been researching into air filters for my motor, and i was on a site where they tested different makes on the rolling road, they had a £190 kit that decreased your power and then they had a £99 pipercross induction kit that actually gave the car an extra 2bhp. but your find alot of standard componants are better then a modified part.

There's plenty of organisations out there waiting to take your cash.

I think that air filters are a good case in point. Paper ones from the dealer are so cheap I just change 'em every few months regardless of servicing intervals. Much easier than cleaning those bloody oily things.

I tend to use a Pipercross panel filter, which are foam based - no oil.
I find cotton Gauze filters offer the best filtration and flow rates. The foam ones often come with a rubberised backing mesh which clogs them up - especially the cheaper ones.

I find cotton Gauze filters offer the best filtration and flow rates. The foam ones often come with a rubberised backing mesh which clogs them up - especially the cheaper ones.

To be fair my opinions have now changed, 4 years on from this. I've put so many cars on dyno's since and its amazing how good the OEM air boxes are really. I think half of the performance filters is placebo. The actual horsepower gains are so marginal from just a filter change they often are smaller than the discrepancy you get between runs as the vehicle gets warmer!

That said, with regards to your cotton filters... there has to be something in this, given the RS6 OEM filters are cotton.

Car modding makes a car different from standard. Whether it is 'better' than standard is in the eyes of the modder.

Bigger brakes may shorten the stopping distance, but a non-mod person could well find them too harsh with little feel.

Lowered suspension, if done properly, may make the car handle better, but at the expense of comfort.

Anyone think of a mod that a non-mod-person would consider an improvement over standard?

My best shot is mapping. My son does it and we see many NMPs who are looking for a little more power for, for example, towing and/or better economy. Their cars are otherwise stock.