Are cars quicker and better

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Just running some numbers and I keep finding that modern cars are much more powerful than they were 30 years or so ago but not that much quicker!

With modern ABS, traction control, anti skid, anti idiot safeguards and the requirement for our cars to have lots of safety equipment we will probably need 500 bhp to match current performance levels.

Compare a 16v Mk1 Golf GTi performance with the V5 Golf and see what I mean.
8.9 seconds 108 bhp
8.6 seconds 170bhp

Why do you think this is? Will we keep seeing higher power levels to make up for the extra weight or do you think cars will get lighter and less powerful overall?

Cars will adapt to meet customer and government requirements.

Cars got very heavy in the 90s, just look at the Golf GTi weights from Mk1 to Mk4. More goodies and comfort meant more weight.

However, the gradual implimentaion of hig high tech materials into cars has seen their weight start to drop. World wide government legislation has forced car manufacturers to reassess their manufacturing processses in order to meet the new regs.

I do know what you mean here. Power levels do keep rising. 200hp used to be quite the performance car benchmark. My dads just ordered his new car from Audi. It's an A6 SE 2.0 TDI. That's 190bhp stock and it's by no means sold as a performance car...

People like luxuries like heated seats and sat nav etc which all adds weight to the car, and as everyone knows the heavier the car the slower it will be. so when you look at the mk1 golf Gti with justo ver 100bhp but wind down windows tape player and heater its going to weigh less than the mk5 for example with electric windows, electric seats, sat nav air con etc etc.

also old cars used to be made of lighter materials as they didnt have to be as safe as they do these days.

People like luxuries like heated seats and sat nav etc which all adds weight to the car, and as everyone knows the heavier the car the slower it will be. so when you look at the mk1 golf Gti with justo ver 100bhp but wind down windows tape player and heater its going to weigh less than the mk5 for example with electric windows, electric seats, sat nav air con etc etc.

also old cars used to be made of lighter materials as they didnt have to be as safe as they do these days.