Aquaplaning

aswearing

Torque Master
Car
Micra 160sr
do you think we are full prepared for everyday driving once we have passed our test?

today i was on the A1 and started to aquaplane at 70mph, i felt the backend slide out and veryneary made a swift exit through some trees :D

how many times has this happened to anyone else if at all and how serious was it?

It happened to me once, and wrote my Polo off.

I don't think there is any training for how to deal with aquaplaning as once your wheels lose contact with the ground, you have no control at all.

Chief advice is when it's wet, slow down!!

I agree with black line Ninja - when its wet slow down. I have briefly aquaplaned and it was really scary as the steering just went. Thankfully the grip returned just before I slewed into the barrier. This taught me that I was not invincible and I've been careul in the wet ever since.

If you are driving through a flood never take your foot off the throttle or the water will be sucked up the exhaust into the engine! Ride the clutch if you have to but keep them revs up.

during the flood around my end, a golf owner had water millimetres below his exhaust :shock: poor bloke

its an odd experience when you get yourself into a situation where you know you can die, everything just floats away. adrenaline junkie :p

It can happen to anyone, the real idea is to avoid it in the first place. Decent rubber helps.

A friend of mine did £20,000 worth of damage to his brand new Jaguar XKR on the M40 back in 2001 as a result of aquaplaning. He was only travelling at 85mph (so he says) :)

Yep - it certainly helped him. Sadly even at the age of 52 this guy always used up every last inch of contingency. I think the £1k insurance excess the next year finally did it.

It is bloody scary. I've only aquaplaned twice in twenty years' driving.

By far the more serious occurence was on the B4011 (Thame to Bicester) when the rear let loose (car's, my own very nearly after!) and left me with a car pivoting about it's front axle. How I managed to rein that in I don't know. Luck was on my side that night.

I think it was down to having brand new rubber on the front and questionable quality at the back. Hence we should always fit new tyres at the rear or fir all four together. Guess what I've done ever since that tiime.

Ive hit water at pretty intense speeds before but only once have I actually aquaplaned, as expected, I lost control and the back end slid out but just like when you skid, I turned into it (at which point, I had left the water) and the car straightened up. No damage done, just a fresh new one in my pants.

the type of tyre could help, tread patterns that expel water between the rubber and tarmac give more grip, depends on the price and area you live in too.

i wonder if in areas with tiny amounts of rain they go for the slickest legal? say in italy with slicks on cinquecento's :lol:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back