Any motoring money saving tips you can pass on

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What money saving tips have you found that could help drivers make their money go faster?

What about ringing around for quotes for work like tyres, and servicing and haggling? Most garages want to get the work and when it's over the phone they try a little harder to get you to come in.

Used parts can save a fortune but I would personally stick to non wearing parts avoiding diffs, gearboxes but buying electrical switches, catches, body panels and interior trim parts.

Join a motoring club for your make of car, at the Saab club we have organised exclusive discounts for our members who use the magazine/website traders and quote their membership number. The AA also have started to offer exclusive discounts for various things on your car if you quote their membership number too. Many insurance companies are starting to give better value for your premiums by throwing in breakdown recovery etc.

Sad person that I am, I have been experimenting on how to get better mileage out of the Fox. Not scientific as measuring from tank filled to brim to when red light comes on, but it gives me an idea on how I am doing.

Control test mode. Driving spiritedly (ie pulling out into traffic with brisk acceleration, 70mph on motorways, 60 on dual carriageways and signed limits on all others when and where safe) but safely. 360 miles

Driving Miss Daisy mode. Wait for longer gap in traffic so could pull out and accelerate smoothly. Drive in such as way that there is minimal use of brakes. 55mph on motorways, 50 on dual carriageways and max 40 derestricted single carriageways. 425 miles. The extra 65 miles travelled equates to around 1.5 gallons so around £7.50 a tank. Fill up approx. every two weeks so this would save me approx. £195 a year.

Driving Miss Daisy mad mode. As above but coasting wherever it was safe to do so. If you car cuts fuel when off the throttle but in gear then coasting uses more fuel. 475 miles. As above this would save around £375 a year.

Read into that whatever you choose :)

What money saving tips have you found that could help drivers make their money go faster?
Obi San I think you meant to say "make their money last longer" :)

My money saving tip is to leave the car factory stock as once you jump on the tigers back and start modifying you can't jump off :eek: :lol:

Walk, dont drive.
By reducing your annual mileage, and telling your insurance company that you only do, for example, 3000 miles a year, may reduce your premium. This also saves money at the pumps :).

Obi San I think you meant to say "make their money last longer" :)

My money saving tip is to leave the car factory stock as once you jump on the tigers back and start modifying you can't jump off :eek: :lol:
Oops you are right I did mean that. Actually I quite like the typo, it sort of reads now "you have spare cash for performance mods now so your money is helping you go faster" ;)

Most mods will use more fuel and cost more to run in maintenance but there are a few mods out there that make a car more efficient. Try an eco remap, keeping the engine carbon free and nice clean injectors as there is no point losing economy to bad setup.

Tyre pressures and driving style IMO use the most fuel when done wrong!

Driving style is the cheapest as its free. Keeping a decent distance from car in front is not only safer but you don't have to brake when they do, just coast up to a junction using zero fuel and usually means you can time it to exit a junction without even stopping. I regularly see well over 50mpg even on our hilly part of the world