Another newbie...

Thanks T9.
Was looking at remapping a 2010 Qashqai 1.6l petrol but having gone through some posts on here, don't think it's worth the trouble for around 12bhp gain and 14nm of torque. But seriously though, this car is so underpowered....

Always the way I'm afraid buddy with anything small engined by Nissan by all accounts.
My advice would be to use the car for what it is until you get bored, then buy something more better suited to a power upgrade.

Hi and welcome to TC forums.
Generally as a rule a natural aspirated engine will get around 5-10% power gain from a remap so your 12hp figure sounds about right. Actually 14nm torque increase is pretty good, you should feel some difference. Trying to boost the power on a small eco engine designed to pull a heavy vehicle like the Quashqai will be very expensive but all things are possible. One thing the remap will do is change the characteristic of the power delivery so it should feel quicker which may be enough for you to enjoy it better. Hope that helps :)

Andy944,
That's what I was told by the remap guys, but then read on this forum about frequent vehicle services due to the wear and tear caused by a remap. Would that be the same in this case on the Qashqai?

Last edited:
At the end of the day buddy, the only limits to big power is your wallet and the time in which you would like it done. If the car is a daily driver then you will need to be prepared for it to be off the road for long periods of time, and this could be a nuisance if you have to seek alternative arrangements to get too work. As Andy said, the power figures are good and you should notice the difference. You could also look at companies like DC Performance here: http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/performance/nissan/qashqai.html they do various packages that can help give your baby that little sparkle on the road.

Hi T9,
Thanks for the link. Was just looking at the modest gains I'd get with the remap, what with a very limited budget :(.
With this in mind, if I went with just the remap would the QQ require frequent servicing than normal even with these modest gains?

In a word 'NO' but you must keep up with the manufacturers stated service interval periods, they are set for a very good reason.

Hi T9,
Thanks for the link. Was just looking at the modest gains I'd get with the remap, what with a very limited budget :(.
With this in mind, if I went with just the remap would the QQ require frequent servicing than normal even with these modest gains?
A basic stage 1 remap will stay within all manufacturers specifications including the servicing intervals. Bear in mind when you start increasing power, no matter how big or small, stresses have been increased on the components and items may wear out quicker, you cannot have the best of both worlds. Now I don't know how the humble Quashqais 1.6 will react in wear rate to the remap, probably not much, but just to inform, wear is increased with the more power you increase. What tuning company have you been talking BTW? One of the national franchises like Quantum, Avon or Celtic or an independent.

A basic stage 1 remap will stay within all manufacturers specifications including the servicing intervals. Bear in mind when you start increasing power, no matter how big or small, stresses have been increased on the components and items may wear out quicker, you cannot have the best of both worlds. Now I don't know how the humble Quashqais 1.6 will react in wear rate to the remap, probably not much, but just to inform, wear is increased with the more power you increase. What tuning company have you been talking BTW? One of the national franchises like Quantum, Avon or Celtic or an independent.

I've been in touch with Avon in Bristol, who because they're far from where I live referred me to SLT in Sheffield.

Yep Avon are pretty professional, can't go wrong with them |B The local agent will be sending the file back to Avon who will be writing the file. You'll be fine with them and enjoy the engines new lease of life (8})

Yep Avon are pretty professional, can't go wrong with them |B The local agent will be sending the file back to Avon who will be writing the file. You'll be fine with them and enjoy the engines new lease of life (8})

Will do, and keep you posted how it goes

Hello and a very warm welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Really nice to have you along.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back