amp is not working

robgclio

Wrench Pro
Car
clio 1.2 RL
just wired up my 400 watt amp ive made sure all connections are tight the fuse is still good but it wont work. it only has one light on it which is red and it is on whenever the stereo is on. for the earth i sanded and wire brushed back to bare metal and drilled a small hole to screw into, it is tight. is there any other reasons why the amp would not be working? thanks, rob.

shorted itself out?
does the manual give any indications of what colour the light should be ?
my old one had a green led on it but turned red if it over heated of shorted

nope :/ i bought a new cheapy one for the time being and again its the same thing, light comes on ( on new amp its green) but no sound. so its definately either something to do with my wiring or possibly my headunit?

There should be 3 connections.
1 will be a positive. That goes to the positive on the battery.
1 will be an earth. This should go roughly 12-15 inches from the amp straight to the body of the car.
The final wire is a remote wire which goes to the back of the headunit to switch it on and off with the amp.
Have a read of this buddy.
http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f101/basic-guide-installing-amp-8035/

yeh thats what it was on the old amp it had 3 connections. the new CHEAPY one has 2 lol the switch live and the earth. im thinking it may be my earth?

Have you got a pic of this amp?
Cause that sounds wrong.
Your headunit has not got enough power to run an amp on it's own. The amp needs a permanent live as well as the remote.

Sorry for being blunt but that amp is worthless. Even if you do get it working it will only be producing around 6watts of power. Your head unit provides more than that.

Sorry for being blunt but that amp is worthless. Even if you do get it working it will only be producing around 6watts of power. Your head unit provides more than that.

yeh i know its bad, i bought it as more of an experiment to see why the other one wasnt working lol. do you think my aux output could be broken on the head unit or could it be my earthing?

Is there any settings on the headunit itself for an amp?
It won't be your earth I don't think.
Maybe the RCA inputs on headunit could be broke.
RCA leads themselves could be shot.

Is there any settings on the headunit itself for an amp?
It won't be your earth I don't think.
Maybe the RCA inputs on headunit could be broke.
RCA leads themselves could be shot.

well ive pressed all the buttons and in the head unit manual it mentions nothing about adjusting the aux output. and i bought the RCA leads from halfords fitted them and they have stayed there so i cant see why they would be broken, that just leaves the earth or broken headunit. i will have another play tomorro and see if i can get it to work.

It's a bike amp so maybe it's suppose to wire to the + and the - on the battery. I know thats how my heated grips on the bike wire up.

i know where you are coming from but it is definately an earth as it has the earth symbol. couldnt do anything to it the other day as i got called into work. i have the day off tomorro so if it isnt snowing il crack on with it. also im picking up a new headunit tonight, its a goodmans gce7355 with aux input on the front.