altering the PS system to be able to change /modify steering feel . effort

viggen

Car
saab 02' viggen CV
  1. I read this in a Saab forum and decided to post it to elicit comments I suppose he is speaking of the high power assist of the stock, OEM PS system and wanted a solution to improve steering feel/feedback! less filtering? I wonder if this is / would be safe so i do not sanction it so beware ! would like a qualified engineer to comment and give their opinion? thx Subject:" In an effort to improve steering feel because I never liked the high-level power assist on my cars, I figured that had few options:SO"

4)" I did this: I was replacing the power steering pump anyway, and I realized that it has an internal pressure relief valve just like the engine oil pump. In both cases the fluid pressure can build until a certain level, at which point a spring is overcome, a ball or piston moves which exposes a passageway, and the excess pressure escapes. The output pressure is determined by the strength of the spring. So I totally guessed and clipped off 2 coils from this spring, ground the end flat, and reassembled. "

"So far it drives like I had hoped - which is like 20% of the power assist is gone, and the steering wheel has a new weight to it. Parallel parking is still no problem. I don't see any downsides to this, only upsides...like less wear and tear on the PS pump, belt, pressure hoses, and steering rack because of lower system pressure. A little less power robbed from the crankshaft too. Anyone else try this? " PS
    PS now how about if we could adjust it at will? a small electric servo motor or a stepper motor turning a bolt, shaft, changing the pre-load on the /a spring (like in the example above ) like motorcycle fork springs adjust preload? bring our old steeds into the 21 st century? who wants to suss this out and make it happen ? WE are a nation of clever engineers and auto part producers ! thx I'm interested in is adapting a TRW EHPS pump (eg, Volvo S40/V50) and building some sort of gateway that can convert the 4000ppm speed signal into a CAN message to control the pump. That is useful across 99/900/NG900/OG9-3 and probably dozens of other cars as well. Now who is an electronic boffin and can pull this little job off ? THX