ALL cars look the same now

Yugguy

Torque King
Car
Merc C220Cdi Elegan
In the little car park under the building are two 63 plate cars.

An Alfa Guiletta and a Seat Leon.

Now, apart from cosmetics like light clusters they look EXACTLY the same, same proportions, same shape.

How very boring.

I wonder how much of this is down to the safety regs dictating dimensions, materials and shapes!

The older Astra, Citroen ZX and Golf all looked the same from a distance! I wish car makers would innovate a lot more.

I suppose ultimately there might be one shape that optimises interior space, aerodynamics, crash safety, fuel economy etc etc. All makers are working toward common goals. And CAD is in essence doing the right job I suppose.

Most people don't care.

However, it has always been like this. back in the 60/70s, for example, the Hillman Hunter and Mk 2 Cortina could have been twins.

Innovation can cost jobs. Manufacturers aren't in it for the art, they are in it purely for the money. They make what sells to the masses.

In response to OG's post lets look at British Leyland in the 1970s - 1980s:

There were some glorious designs and innovative features by the likes of Harris Mann, Alec Issigonis and Charles Spencer King, amongst others.

However, all the innovation was politically engineered out by the 'committee' - the board if you like - thus leaving BL trying to shift non-descript cars with no strokes of genius whatsoever. This sterilisation of genius was probably contributory to the demise of BL brands at the time. The committee took the view that average Joe punter didn't want innovation.

So how is it then, for example, that the Mk2 Vauxhall Cavalier and Ford Sierra mashed the Austin Montego in the sales charts?

In response to OG's post lets look at British Leyland in the 1970s - 1980s:

There were some glorious designs and innovative features by the likes of Harris Mann, Alec Issigonis and Charles Spencer King, amongst others.

However, all the innovation was politically engineered out by the 'committee' - the board if you like - thus leaving BL trying to shift non-descript cars with no strokes of genius whatsoever. This sterilisation of genius was probably contributory to the demise of BL brands at the time. The committee took the view that average Joe punter didn't want innovation.

So how is it then, for example, that the Mk2 Vauxhall Cavalier and Ford Sierra mashed the Austin Montego in the sales charts?

The problem wasn't with the design of BL cars, it was with the build quality. OK, design was a bit of an issue, but they were also put together pretty cheaply.

There were no strokes of genius in the Ford Sierra, at least not until they stuffed a Cosworth lump in it.

Spotted a BMW i8 plug in hybrid in my car park this morning, it looked extremely striking yet I could see elements of an Audi R8 about it.
Hopefully it will still be there when I get back to the car, I will take a photo and post it up here for a TC analysis.

I guess I expected more of Alfa, having had a 156 in the past which looked superb.

Trouble is as well, the only cars that seem to look different are the fugly Noddy cars like the Juke.

The problem wasn't with the design of BL cars, it was with the build quality. OK, design was a bit of an issue, but they were also put together pretty cheaply.

There were no strokes of genius in the Ford Sierra, at least not until they stuffed a Cosworth lump in it.

I agree, the Sierra wasn't a ground breaker but the 2.0 and 2.3(V6) petrol ones were far nicer than anything from BL (Montego). Drop to the 1.6 engines and the Montego had performance on its side when pitched against the similarly powered Sierra and Cavalier. Largely, I think anyway, as a direct result of the poor build quality. Bits dropped of which help the power-to-weight ratio enormously :D

Vauxhall was clever with the MkII Cavalier in offering both saloon and hatchback variants from the start. Ford needed 2-3 years to launch the Sierra Sapphire 4dr in an attempt to compete. Vauxhall had the very-nice-indeed-thankyou-muchly 8 valve 1.8i unit available in GL, GLS and SRi guise. These were very driveable, not because of the unexciting 115bhp but because of the healthy torque spread and good gearing. Cavalier Mk3 was likewise adored by the motoring press. Possibly the best rep-mobile of all time. The 150bhp 2.0 16valve GSi was a delight to drive. Also offered with 4wd at the cost of boot space. And then we got Vectra Mk1 - no progress whatsoever. But they were quiet & refined without a doubt.

Trouble is that there was the Mondeo to battle against head to head, plus a few very very attractive Japanese offerings: Nissan Primera (which handled and gripped like a Porsche); Toyota's Avensis was a peach. Not as dynamically involving as a Primera. And the Honda Accord which had grown teeth by the mid 1990s and was a viable alternative. Especially admirable considering that all previous Accords were hearing aid beige and drove about as nicely as a hearing aid.

However, all these cars looked different from each other ! ! !

There's defiantly an element of cars looking the same, but, whats annoying me more is quite a lot of modern cars don't look as good as their previous models. I preferred the old E60 5 series compared to the new F10 5 series, I prefer the looks (and interior) of the E46 to the E90.. particularly in M3 form... and don't even get me started on the W205 C-Class compared to the W204. I followed one in traffic yesterday and its just ugly. Either I am getting old and not moving with the times, or they're running out of ideas!

I have this same convo with a pal every time we see one of them new vw serroco or how ever its spelt. Nothing eles looks like one is his argument . . I almost broke my back trying to point out the new astra thats about the same look lol. Not a lot diffrence between them

Agreed. Like the look of the pre 2004 3 series more than the later ones.

They say blokes are attracted to cars they subconsciously imagine zooming around Matchbox size as a 5 year old. :-D