advice on vw 1600cc engine mods

marlin

Car
mk1 jetta 1.6
Hi everyone I would like some advice on some engine mods I have in mind for my car its a vw mk1 jetta 1600cc 8v carb engine. Here are the mods I have in mind starting at the top 36dcd weber carb, gash flowed head with 278deg cam, at the bottom I plan a bore to fit 2000cc pistons with cap less rings balanced crank and lighten also. With that I would like a branch and free flow and a electric pump. I am not a expert in cars actually almost know nothing engine wise or making a car faster or stronger so any advise or criticism would be appreciated.

You'll get super compression with the 1600 heads if you go 2l pistons.
I remember back when I was a lad that my Dad was given as a payment. A VW with an 1800cc and 1600 heads + the webber. It was mad to drive. Dont know what happened to it in the end. He probably sold it for next to nothing.
They are fun and I love the old carby set ups.
I have a twin draught webber sitting around here. And 2 singles for linking. They were off a VW too. Off a 1500cc. I think they are solex's.

You'll get super compression with the 1600 heads if you go 2l pistons.
I remember back when I was a lad that my Dad was given as a payment. A VW with an 1800cc and 1600 heads + the webber. It was mad to drive. Dont know what happened to it in the end. He probably sold it for next to nothing.
They are fun and I love the old carby set ups.
I have a twin draught webber sitting around here. And 2 singles for linking. They were off a VW too. Off a 1500cc. I think they are solex's.

You might not be willing to sell me that setup if you want to ?

Hmmm, Where in South affrica are you.
I could look into it.
Were you thinking of the double barrel weber? Will check but think it was primary and secondary system which give you the option to run a bit more economic untill you tromp it:)
Or the twin single Solex system? ( or both)
I'll take a look in the shed and get the throat sizes if you are interested.
I bought the weber from a wreckers in below average condition in that it had fuel leaks but bought a rebuild kit for it. (which is still in it's packet waiting for rebuild)
The butterfly shaft itself is with no wear which is the best thing to have in good nick along with the jets being clean etc.
It came off a modified Datsun 1200 suposedly but going by the fuel stains etc on the inlet manifold it was clearly running rich plus leaking.

The singles (solex's) were off of a 1500 VW beatle. It has the two carbies and the inlet pipes on each of them and possibly the linkage. (It would be interesting to see if you could put the single's and the weber on it together (very custom idea that). (obviosly it would need a manifold made to suit which is an option).
End of the day you would have a more cost effective setup than buying a reco'd weber for instance as they do charge a fortune for them)
The weber itself and the single solex's dont owe me much but the rebuild kit does.
I'll send you a private message with pics and further details if you're interested.
Twin singles off of a 1500 boxer engine with inlets $50 +post
Weber would owe me around $180 +post
Both together $200. Do parts sell well in S/Affrica
weber is in bits at the moment,but it will be put together ready with the new kit (includes the primer/acceleration pump in the kit too) you would be basically buying a reco'd/ rebuilt Weber. You can have it with or without the Datsun intake manifold. (it would be handy for the bolt up point to the carby or to sell to someone else needing a manifold??? But would increase the postage!)
I can make you a manifold for the weber, though I'd have to fish around for an engine to get the measurement and fitment right. Obviously at an extra price.
But I do it for a hobby so it wouldn't be too much. Shame your in
South Africa. I've always been wanting to play around with a carby job again.
Carby's were the norm for me being 40 now thats all they had when I was 16 more or less.
If the postage is not too expensive I'll do it free post but I'll look at that if you get back to me with an address.
Best option would be for me to post it on Ebay so you have security from Paypal or whatever. I wll guarantee they will be more than acceptable condition.
Your only catch might be if and most likely the need for different fuel jets.
I'll look at the setup on the WEBER as I do remeber they had mixture screws.
Mind you mix will only work so far before you need the larger jets.
(I used to use a drill bit, but of the next size to the hole of the jet if I needed more fuel) But that is very touch and go and can easily be stuffed.
Best would be the right!!! jets to suit the engine mod!!!!???
(Hence the reason I mension the drill bit method as you could end up needing to trial and error with varying jet sizes If you can get them)

Last edited:
Hmmm, Where in South affrica are you.
I could look into it.
Were you thinking of the double barrel weber? Will check but think it was primary and secondary system which give you the option to run a bit more economic untill you tromp it:)
Or the twin single Solex system? ( or both)
I'll take a look in the shed and get the throat sizes if you are interested.
I bought the weber from a wreckers in below average condition in that it had fuel leaks but bought a rebuild kit for it. (which is still in it's packet waiting for rebuild)
The butterfly shaft itself is with no wear which is the best thing to have in good nick along with the jets being clean etc.
It came off a modified Datsun 1200 suposedly but going by the fuel stains etc on the inlet manifold it was clearly running rich plus leaking.

The singles (solex's) were off of a 1500 VW beatle. It has the two carbies and the inlet pipes on each of them and possibly the linkage. (It would be interesting to see if you could put the single's and the weber on it together (very custom idea that). (obviosly it would need a manifold made to suit which is an option).
End of the day you would have a more cost effective setup than buying a reco'd weber for instance as they do charge a fortune for them)
The weber itself and the single solex's dont owe me much but the rebuild kit does.
I'll send you a private message with pics and further details if you're interested.
Twin singles off of a 1500 boxer engine with inlets $50 +post
Weber would owe me around $180 +post
Both together $200. Do parts sell well in S/Affrica
weber is in bits at the moment,but it will be put together ready with the new kit (includes the primer/acceleration pump in the kit too) you would be basically buying a reco'd/ rebuilt Weber. You can have it with or without the Datsun intake manifold. (it would be handy for the bolt up point to the carby or to sell to someone else needing a manifold??? But would increase the postage!)
I can make you a manifold for the weber, though I'd have to fish around for an engine to get the measurement and fitment right. Obviously at an extra price.
But I do it for a hobby so it wouldn't be too much. Shame your in
South Africa. I've always been wanting to play around with a carby job again.
Carby's were the norm for me being 40 now thats all they had when I was 16 more or less.
If the postage is not too expensive I'll do it free post but I'll look at that if you get back to me with an address.
Best option would be for me to post it on Ebay so you have security from Paypal or whatever. I wll guarantee they will be more than acceptable condition.
Your only catch might be if and most likely the need for different fuel jets.
I'll look at the setup on the WEBER as I do remeber they had mixture screws.
Mind you mix will only work so far before you need the larger jets.
(I used to use a drill bit, but of the next size to the hole of the jet if I needed more fuel) But that is very touch and go and can easily be stuffed.
Best would be the right!!! jets to suit the engine mod!!!!???
(Hence the reason I mension the drill bit method as you could end up needing to trial and error with varying jet sizes If you can get them)

Thank you for the offer but with the current Rand and dollar exchange rate it would be to expensive for me to import it from you I can probably get a weber 36dcd here by us for R600 bucks that's about $80 but being currently unemployed I am probably gonna trade something for one to someone. Thank you again

What's your address.
I will look into postage cost. If you can cover postage I'll send you the carby:amazed:.
Which do you prefer?
a:The webber with primary and secondary, I think they are 32p/36S cable operated choke
or the twin single solex's.
b:The Solex's have an electric operated auto choke system and came off a 1500 VW.
I'm sure the offer would be appreciated.

What's your address.
I will look into postage cost. If you can cover postage I'll send you the carby:amazed:.
Which do you prefer?
a:The webber with primary and secondary, I think they are 32p/36S cable operated choke
or the twin single solex's.
b:The Solex's have an electric operated auto choke system and came off a 1500 VW.
I'm sure the offer would be appreciated.

Wow wow wow can't believe there are still nice people like you on this earth we living in but which do you think would be the easiest for me to put on my car ? And I am sure I would be able to cover the postage. And really really thank you I don't think I going to stop smiling today. And my address is 11 Craighall avenue Voorbrug Delft postal code 7100

With just the twin carb solex setup or the webber would be a start to improvements
If engine is going OK this will suit OK without the desperate need for fuel jets being up sized or drilled. (bear in mind that drilling the jets for increased fuel flow will need a very specific sized drill bit.) I am assuming that the engine is still just a stock 1600 for now? If I can find it I do have 1 new head gasket here somewhere if you wanted it too.
Down the track your best bet would be to find a carby off a 2 litre. However if your unemployed that becomes a chalenge.

What does the car have on it at the moment? are you able to take pics.
If it already has twin single??? the the singles would be the go.
If it has a stock dual throat then possibly the webber. I have an adaptor plate with it but that was to fit it on a Datsun 1200 manifold.
It may bolt up with 4 holes drilled to the plate.

Here's the pics of the WEBER setup I have,
Carby wasn't finishe with cleaning in this pic with the kit.
It did come up nice.

Attachments

• carby top view+serial no.jpg
    carby top view+serial no.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Carby& filter.jpg
    Carby& filter.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 8
  • carby&kit.jpg
    carby&kit.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: