Torque Cars

A6 4.2 quattro needs lowering,

Discussion in 'A6/S6/RS6' started by Rabbit, 3 September 2008.

1. rmackinnon

rmackinnon Wrench Pro

UK, Mansfield
    Car:
    Audi A6 4.2 (1999)
    Looks good! Thanks

2. Rabbit

Rabbit Wrench Pro

Northumberland
    Car:
    Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
    thanks for that

just put a couple of pics up on the gallery.
    Lowering onto 19's with big boots is your next job m8 after the exhaust,

if i can help with any info dont hesitate to ask

R

3. herb

herb modherbrator Moderator

west midlands
    Car:
    Seat Leon Cupra
    i couldnt agree more!! rmackinnon if your going for a powerflow try and find 1 people have used and recommend!! cause there are some horror stories about powerflow fitters. which sadly gives the whole brand a bad name and makes people think all poweflow suppliers are bad

really nice looking motor you have there rabbit!!!

4. Rabbit

Rabbit Wrench Pro

Northumberland
    Car:
    Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
    Thanks 4 that Herb

I would personally recommed this firm in Carlisle, but make sure you get the guy that did mine, he is a perfectionist.
    I got my alloys and rubber from them, EBC pads and disc's also, and they were the best on price.
    proper outfit to deal with, mac if you need a intro i will be happy to help,

better to travel a few miles to a good firm then to take a hard hit on your door-step

R

5. herb

west midlands
    Car:
    Seat Leon Cupra
    no worries mate i will always compliment someone on there car if its to my taste:amuse:

on another note what ebc pads did you go for??
    myself im using ebc discs and redstuff pads

6. Rabbit

Rabbit Wrench Pro

Northumberland
    Car:
    Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
    Yeah same here, they took a couple of weeks to settle in tho, squealing was so so loud, but all is cool now.

R

7. herb

west midlands
    Car:
    Seat Leon Cupra
    i was curious cause alot of people dont rate ebc:confused: but i have had mine nearly 3 years and never had a problem with them!!
    i've had a few discussions withe another member on here (hdi) about redstuff pads and we come to the conclusion that they work better with heavier cars! so i presume this is the case with your a6

8. Rabbit

Rabbit Wrench Pro

Northumberland
    Car:
    Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
    there are a couple of senarios i can try where in the past the stopping power has been some what lacking, i will try one tommorow and let you know,

R

9. Rabbit

Rabbit Wrench Pro

Northumberland
    Car:
    Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
    yeah much beter than the existing brakes, the a6 aint renown for its stopping but the ebc kit helps

R

10. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    that would have been gates tyres then ? think they are at rosehill int estate now. they did a good job on my prelude all them years ago

11. Rabbit

Rabbit Wrench Pro

Northumberland
    Car:
    Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
    Yeah
    they are a decent outfit to deal with, as i said previously their exhaust lad is very good
    R

12. rmackinnon

rmackinnon Wrench Pro

UK, Mansfield
    Car:
    Audi A6 4.2 (1999)
    Hey Rabbit

Would you mind doing me a favour? Could you take a couple of snaps of the exhaust boxes in the centre and rear? (or better yet, if your invoice has part numbers of the boxes used - mine does)

I had powerflow fitted by a dealer and although looks good, its lovely up to 1800rpm, after that it sounds like its all wrong - i think the back pressure is all screwed - difficult to describe - it sounds like a misfire.

I have already found a couple of blow holes from the system (by putting hands over the tail pipe), which i am not impressed with.

Thanks

13. Rabbit

Rabbit Wrench Pro

Northumberland
    Car:
    Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
    Yeah

Aint got paperwork but I will sort out a couple of pics later this week, and get any numbers on the boxes

r

14. rmackinnon

rmackinnon Wrench Pro

UK, Mansfield
    Car:
    Audi A6 4.2 (1999)
    Cheers buddy. I have it booked in on Saturday for them to look at it, and will make sure they do it properly this time.

Also noticed that the exit tail pipes are smaller diameter than the pipe from the cats to the rear silencer, so i suspect there is restriction there too, not to mention the blow holes which make it sound rubbish above 2000rpm.

15. Rabbit

Rabbit Wrench Pro

Northumberland
    Car:
    Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
    I have taken about 10 pics, giv me your personal e.mail and i will send them 2 you later today or tomorrow, as ten to the forum is a bit much i think.
    Anway the spec of the exhaust is as follows,
    pipes cut just after flexi joints, connectors onto 51mm od s/s pipe, pipes joined at middle then onto 4 way box,
    L 12"
    W 7"
    H 4.5"
    Then 51mm pipe onto rear boxes
    L 15"
    Dia 7"
    out to tail pipes

hope this helps

r

16. a6george

a6george Wrench Pro

England Sunderland
    Car:
    6 speed 6n2
    Nice looking motor Rabitt, ive got a 1999 one and love it. keep me posted on what you do to it mate.

17. Rabbit

Rabbit Wrench Pro

Northumberland
    Car:
    Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
    Thanks for that George, the changes re exhaust etc are listed on my home section

r