A4 1.8 SE(98) need advice on engine tuning

twiggy

ive had my A4 for 3 years now and a year of that it has been off the road, with it bein off the road ive been driving my A4 2.4 V6, ive jus put my 1.8 back on the road now nd to be honest she feels sluggish, i was jus wondering if any of you got any tips on how to boost my performance from my engine, im gona get a sports exhaust and K+N i kit for it to try an boost but i want summin to give me more of an edge, and another thing........ does it need to be a Turbo to get it chipped? if any of ya got any info for me jus give me a shout

no it doesnt need to be turboed to be remapped / chipped but the gains are much lower your looking at around 8-10 bhp from a rewrite compared to around 30bhp for the turbo model.

youve already said about the sports exhaust, but what about changing the exhaust manifold and cat as well ?
other ideas are FSE boost valve (fuel regulator it well increase the throttle response) and cams, although im having problems locating them for the 1.8 t

i know wot your saying about the manifold and cat but isnt that an MOT failure? ill ask you a question.......... is it better off buying myself a 1.8T or the 1.9TDI, i only want to keep my 1.8 for another year cuz its gettin old being an R reg, i want to get the most out of an engine aswel so if you got any websites or any info on companys that sell the decent stuff for audi engines id be gratefull, cheers mate.

I was tempted by the 1.9TDi quattro but it costed another £4000 when I was buying so I went for the 1.8T instead. With diesel prices I'm glad I made that choice now!)