A tiny (398kg) car that'll leave a 600 super bike behind...

I caught a glimpse of it earlier in the clip and wondered if it would be mentioned in more detail but alas :sad2: nothing...

Maybe next time.

But yes and WOW!
I had a brief tour when I dropped the car off and yes there are some amazing project cars there, they've had that Jag for over 2years! The owner is apparently so meticulous about the details, but what a car that will be when finished! Love sleeper cars lol.

Little update...

Visited Z-Cars yesterday, highlight of my week!
They spent two hours with me showing me around the workshops and some other projects that they are (quite rightly) very proud off.

I went to collect the old engine, gearbox, mudguards and a few other bits that could now be resold.
I saw my new engine (sitting in the passenger footwell) and wow! It looks brand new!
Not a mark on it!

However, I had got my wires crossed and found out that the engine is a slightly later generation, it's actually a K4 and with the dry-sump set up added and a free flowing exhaust that will mean that power output will be nearer the 170bhp mark!!!

A few other small things were discussed and I was shown the final drive gizmo!
Wow! What a box of tricks, billet aluminium casing, housing a proper Quaife limited slip diff and reverse gear with power taken directly from the output shaft of the bike gearbox.

It will now be geared to have a top speed of around 140mph, not that I plan to do that kind of speed in it, but that will mean that I can sit on the motorway at 70mph with the engine ticking along at about 6000 rpm. Remember this is a highly tuned bike engine and as standrd the redline is 12,500 rpm!!!

Final thing, just how heavy the original engine/gearbox is! Wow!
That gone means that the finished car will weigh around 360kg with around 160bhp at the rear wheels!
And (if sufficient

For the mathematicians amongst us that equates to a power-to-weight ratio of approx 444 BHP/T

To put that into perspective... Here are a couple of car either side of that 444 figure.
Lamborghini Aventador LP720-4 50th Anniversario - [2013]
450.7 bhp per tonne

Porsche 911 GT2 RS 997 - [2010]
445.9 bhp per tonne

Porsche Carrera GT - [2003]
442.7 bhp per tonne

Saleen S7 7.0 V8 - [2000]
441.0 bhp per tonne

Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 - [2011]
438.0 bhp per tonne

Pagani Zonda C12 S 7.3 - [2002]
437.6 bhp per tonne

Gumpert Apollo 4.2L V8 Twin Turbo - [2005]
436.6 bhp per tonne

Ferrari F40 2.9 V8 - [1987]
433.6 bhp per tonne

Pagani Zonda Roadster - [2003]
433.5 bhp per tonne

Maserati MC12 6.0 V12 - [2004]
429.7 bhp per tonne

McLaren MP4-12C 3.8L V8 Twin Turbo - [2012]
429.5 bhp per tonne

Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 Roadster - [2013]
424.6 bhp per tonne

Lamborghini Huracan LP 610-4 - [2014]
423.3 bhp per tonne

Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1 - [2007]
423.0 bhp per tonne

Ferrari F50 4.7 V12 - [1995]
422.7 bhp per tonne

Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Super Trofeo Stradale - [2011]
419.4 bhp per tonne

All of the above figures were taken from am very useful website called autosnout
http://www.autosnout.com/Cars-Bhp-Per-Ton-List.php

Hi guys,

Well after a very bleak last few months of next to no income, things have finally turned around and from here on in get better every month!

Just been able to send ZCars another chunk of money to get things moving again, sadly looking like it will now be spring next year before this little pocket rocket will be finished, but I know it's going to be done right!!!

But wow is this the perfect weather for it!!!!!!!

Here are couple of photoshop renders to whet your appetites...

Loving the 4-4 carbon can exhaust system!

Last edited:
Great to hear that the project is still ongoing, but you forgot to include the renders :-(

Great to hear that the project is still ongoing, but you forgot to include the renders :-(

image.jpg

image1.jpg

Ha ha, forget that I cant just upload the pics to this site!

Yeah I know what you mean.
Standard is 175/60/13

Going to go up to 185's on R888s or TB5s

Think with super soft sticky tyres, that should be enough to give it plenty of traction and will fit snuggly under the new carbon mudguards.

Just had a confirmation email from ZCars to say that yes that can build a full on OTT 4-4 exhaust system as pictured above!

Woo hoo!! :D

That's great news, keep us posted. You should also be able to upload images as attachments or create a photo gallery now, we've done many forum upgrades in the last year or so and I remember you complained that you couldn't upload images.

Hmmm, hadn't considered that.
Love the look if it with four exhausts.
As soon as you look at the car it makes a statement that this is something quite special!

The power to weight ratio is so obsurb that it could lose 40/50% of its power and still be a quick little thing. But at this point I've just handed th idea to Zcars and let them figure out the best way to get the desired end result.

Car building/fabricating/customising is not something I have a great deal of experience in, lots of silly/fun ideas but experience, no.

So I thought it best to leave it to the experts.
How would you go about design a system to give you four end cans?
Would love to read your input guys.

The look was supposed to be a bit of a nod to old v8 racers and vintage cars that had elaborate exhausts, think 1920's/1930's V8 Bugatti with four side exhausts for each bank

Last edited:
I thought someone would mention that :)

With 8-10,000 HP and the fuel delivery equivalent of 8 electric domestic showers running flat out, the theoretical power improvement from running a 4-2-1 or 4-1 exhaust would be outweighed by the additional weight. In reality, there is so much stuff coming out of the exhaust ports that such a system would greatly hamper the evacuation of the cylinders so would be counter-productive. Basically, the engine would choke on its own gases due to the increased back pressures.

SMART CAR = 2700mm length
SECMA QT = 2400mm length x 1400mm (Wide) x 1100mm (Tall)

image.jpg

And of course at 1100mm tall it fits under the majority of those parking barriers tee hee!

IMO a 4-2-1 would work best but you could split the final 1 into 4. It would also save the weight of 4 single pipes. Not sure how it would sound though.

GUTTED!!!!!
Got a phone call on Monday night to say that had to collect my car from ZCARS ASAP as they are going into liquidation!!!!

Worse that that though...
when I arrived at ZCARS last night I found out that the GSX-R1000 engine & dry sump set up (bought and paid for last summer) the money reached Zcars but wasn't forwarded to their supplier and when they were told of liquidation they took the (my) engine back!
Unbeknown to me until last night

So I've collecting a rolling chassis and a £2500 deficit I'll have to try and claim back from the liquidators...
GUTTED!!!!

Oh dear Lord :eek:

I am so sorry to hear the news, I really do hope that you are able to salvage the best from the liquidators, hopefully they will have a heart and see you alright.

Good luck buddy

That's bad! Sorry to hear that and I hope you get it sorted. Don't suppose you paid any of this by credit card? It would give you a little more protection.

Speak to a debt collection agency about this, if the company are not in liquidation yet or it is not finalised they might be able to significantly help you and recover some costs before the liquidators pot soaks it all up ;)

Your covered by debit card to even if you only paid the deposit and paid the rest by cash/cheque for the engine;)

It's easier by credit card cause the money wasn't yours to begin with. It's just more long winded by debit card cause they don't like giving you your own money back;)

Your covered by debit card to even if you only paid the deposit and paid the rest by cash/cheque for the engine;)

Are you sure about that? I know that you are covered if you paid directly by credit card but didn't think the same rules applied to debit cards.

Go for the services of a debt recovery agent, they might be able to jump the legal process and get you something back. Make sure they offer a no win no fee solution.

On a more positive note however...
I had a meeting today with a local tuner/fabricator who is going to complete the project.

I've decided to heed his advice and change the power-train set up entirely from what ZCARS were going to do (GSXR1000 + QBA box)
Cheaper and apparently more reliable solution...

the QBA box made by Quaife are apparently not as good as you might think (lots of reported failures and apparently Quaife after sales are awful) so...

What tuner suggested is to use a big V-twin rather than in line four, mount it transversely, keep the chain drive (electric reverse) and have the chain drive go direct to a very short prop-shaft and into a LSD from an M3 (or similar) and then to the rear wheels.

Punchy mid-range torquey power as opposed to screaming top end surge may well be a better fit for a road car rather than racer.

Won't be quite such a loony machine but 130-140bhp and 360kg will still be a very fast machine indeed.

After this meeting it looks like it can all still be completed by spring 2016.

(Still gutted about ZCARS, but all I can do is wipe my mouth and move on. At least I got my car back...)

Once again, thank you for all the kind words. :)

Yes!

The saga continues...
(feel like I might be old enough to join SAGA by the time I get this bloody thing completed)...

Ok so, update...
Car still not back in the road, however progress is being made (albeit slowly), same guy has the car and stored it over winter while I saved up some more pennies after Z-Cars folded

May, I deposited a significant amount if money with new engineer and June, bought a complete Aprillia RSV Mille (998cc 60° Rotax V-Twin) producing around 140bhp.

I was hoping to have the car completed by July but alas the engineer has been snowed under with work so when I rang him early July expecting a due date and was told, "I've not started it yet, as I've been finishing another project..."

I was disappointed to say the least, anyway, I've been assured that mind is currently top priority and will 'hopefully' be back on the road by mid September...

Crossed fingers...

This is the risk when relying on others. You are very rarely at the top of their list. A friend has his car at well known and respected drag car builder. After months of excuses John finally lost it and he let the shop owner have it with both barrels. Not surprisingly, the car is now almost finished :)

You have to keep on their case otherwise the other guy who is shouting louder than you gets priority.

Just frustrating...

The guy really helped me out when Z-Cars folded and drove (3-4 hours) out to Yorkshire with a trailer at 9pm to help me recover the car before the bailiffs moved in.

But still, he's had the car and complete bike for flippin' months!!! :mad:
I've already missed a microcar rally USC at Santa Pod becuase the car isn't ready still.

Summer almost over already and still no car.
Guess i've just got to be patient (i've been waiting ages already) and when it is done i've got years and years to play with it...

Planning a pan-european road trip for charity next year in it!
Just got to pick a charity and start looking for sponsorship...

OMG!!!!!!!

Can finally (after nearly three years) start getting excited about my little car again!!!!

Just had the following message through from builder/engineer...
image.jpeg

I've asked for a picture to post up and share, but hallelujah!!!!

It's actually happening now!!!!!