968 dual mass flywheel

rcd968

Car
Porsche 968
I replaced the stock dual mass flywheel in my 968 with an 18# Fidanza unit. This has resulted in the known problem of transmission gear "clatter", especially with deceleration. I installed a S2 harmonic balancer crank pulley that has only reduced the "clatter" by about half. I'm seriously considering replacing the dual mass flywheel but would like to first lighten it by several pounds.

Has anyone had any experience in lightening the stock dual mass flywheel?
I would appreciate any input.

rcd968

Have you considered a carbon fibre driveshaft? Not sure about the specifics on a 968 but the flexing can absorb a lot of the clatter.

Did the car behave noticeably different with the new flywheel?

Dear Wayne,

Thank you for responding.

A carbon fibre driveshaft is an intriguing option that I had not thought of. I have absolutely no knowledge RE: this option. Is there a limit to the amount or torque/hp that a carbon fibre driveshaft can handle? Do you have any info where I might inquire RE: the availability of a carbon fibre driveshaft for the 968?

I'm currently running a Rotrex C30-94 supercharger limited to 5 lbs. boost to meet emission standards and also to prevent the stock rods from bending. The injectors have been upgraded and the ECU remapped. Current dyno readings are 275 hp at the rear wheels. It is estimated, based on the 968's drivetrain, that hp at the flywheel is between 300 and 310. Otherwise, the engine is a stock 3.0 litre unit.

To answer your second question, the only difference I have noticed since installing the 18# flywheel is the transmission gear "clatter", which is most noticeable between 2200 and 3000 RPM, and is worse on deceleration.

rcd968

Cf drive shafts can cope with loads of power. They twist and flex unlike a solid one. The longer it is the better it will be.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back