69 VW BUG

mainiac

hello,
I am new to this site and in hopes that one of you can help me. I have a 1969 VW BEETLE CONVERTABLE and am having trouble with the ignition switch. I have replace the key portion and the electrical switch with replacement parts from Mid America Moterworks and have found that the electrical switch is often troublesome in the "crank" position. The first replacement switch was defective and didn't return from crank to run without doing it maqnually. the new replacement doesn't always crank the starter. it seems to have a very short throw in the key movement from run to crank and you often have to turn it very hard or repeatedly to crank for it to turn the starter. does anyone have any suggestions or know of a place where I can find NOS parts or a good used on. The only years that fit are 68 thru 70. All the web searches come up with the same 311905865A part number and it seems to be an inferior part. any help would be really appreciated. As a memner of MBN (machine builders network) I have found that people on this type of site are usually the only true help! thanks, Russ

Hi mainiac welcome to Torquecars. Have you thought of converting to a push buttion starter - it looks very cool and you will not have all the hassle you've been getting. I bet your Bug looks great - what colour is it?

white bug

Waynne,
it's a white convertable with a black european top. it is sharp and has been totally refurbered, I won't call it a restoration, but all panels and interior and most mechanical stuff has been removed, cleaned, painted, or checked out. we bought the car for my wife as she had a 68 yellow conv bug as her first car, but we couldn't find adirect match but this one was in great shape and very close. we have talked to going to a push button, but I would really like to stay as original as I can. My wife is to the point " just leave it alone" it works most of the time. I may just cut in a push button and hide it under the lower edge of the dash. The key will still lock it up and it might even make it harded for someone else to "borrow "it. I may try and upload a picture of iher car at some point. Computers are not my high point so it might not happen. Do you know of any good available used parts for this car? Thanks, Russ

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back