406 engine tuning

linux44

Car
Renault
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post so hello to all :)
I have created this thread to get some advice about my turbo car
Basically I have a car somehow similar to Peugeot 405. It handles and weights(1200 Kg) same as Peugeot. I have changed the engine to 406 turbo charge engine (XU10 J2TE, you can find out more on it on linke below). It produce 145 Hp.
However I have had number of problems with it as follow:
· Keep blowing the head gasket. This is because the car uses a n/a,(naturally aspired) ecu which is made by bosch. The map is standard and it has lots of pre ignition and knoks which has lead to four time gasket blow
· Can not take it anything above 140 Km as the detonation goes crazy.
· Only premium fuel can be used in it. The fuel injectors are standard.
· The boost is limited
Despite all this I have got a 0 to 100 Km of less than 6.5 which is quite good. although i Should say that I have modified the turbo so maybe it produce more than 145 hp, maybe close to 200
So now after this long story, I have decided to buy a aftermarket ecu and maybe a map sensor to sort the problems out.
So here are the questions:
· What is a cost effective and good aftermarket ecu for my case which can also log data. I have had a look at motec and some others. Does this ecus all offer OBD as a standard port to access the ECU?
· Due to a reason which i do not want to disclose it, I do not have an access to dyno. So are there any other ways of creating a map, maybe on rolling road or using data logged by ecu.
· What do u think is the maximum potential of my engine? Can it produce something around 300 bhp?
I have gone far to get books and learn about engines and ecus as I really have a passion for both card and engine.
I will appreciate any answer.
Thanks

Hello and Welcome to TorqueCars.:bigsmile:
Hope you enjoy your time with us.

Your post got stuck in the moderation queue as you require 10 posts before you can upload pics or links. I've approved it for you this time mate.;)
Have a wander round an you'll soon hit 10. :)

Try megasquirt or Apexi.

To cure the detonation you could lower the compression ratio of the engine or introduce water injection.

Try megasquirt or Apexi.

To cure the detonation you could lower the compression ratio of the engine or introduce water injection.

cheers mate, do you have any good source on water injection and what it is ?