406 coupe v6 210bhp engine tunining option/advise

RuDyMaNz

Car
406 Coupe V6 210BHP
Hi, I just wanted to see if anyone had any advise/suggestions on what engine modifications would be good to do to the pug 3.0v6 210bhp engine.

I currently have a stainless steel exhaust fitted with a de cat and mid box removal pipe ready to be fitted, I have an enclosed induction kit aswell.
I am going to get a custom remap or possibly a stand alone ecu (depending on what mods i do) but i want to finish the performance mods first.
I was thinking of getting a custom exhaust manifold, maybe cam reprofiling (cant source aftermarket cams for my car :() and possibly some head work and maybe even boring the engine but wanted to see what different opinions people have on what would be effective and what I should do along with what gains I should see for each mod and what additional things need to be replace/uprated for each mod (if required).

Any information would be helpful
Thanks
Ant

Hi Ant - it sounds like you are serious about modding your car :D

Gas flowing and porting the head will make quite a difference. A rebore on a V6 is pretty expensive and I would expect a 3.0 engine to potentially hit around 290 bhp in standard form.

Reprofiled cams should add another 10-20bhp to your baseline figure.

Taking power up by another 50bhp I would suggest that you get the fuelling uprated as well. Have you thought about a supercharger - this will give a massive power hike.

Do you happen to know the compression ratio of your engine?

Are you happy with the handling, because suspension mods would seem to be a good idea on most cars.

Another option is lightening the car this will maximise the performance gains of each modification.

Yeah am pretty serious about modding, but dont have bottomless pits of cash :lol:
I was looking to get anywhere between 275-300bhp so I guess boring the engine is not necessary, but how much would you estimate it to cost?

Yeah I had thought about a supercharger but I believe to supercharge this engine would require some serious work to other components and I actually like the idea of a NA powerful engine :)

When you say uprated fuelling, what do you actually mean?
Its not a 110% correct figure but it has been mentioned on the 406coupe forum that the engine has a compression ratio of 10.9:1. Im not too familiar with what compression ratios mean, but I hope someone can enlighten me :lol:

At the moment handling is fine, but I do plan to get a set of coilovers during the engine modification process.

Yeah I know about making cars lighter and the gains that it can give alone but I want the car to still be a comfortable everyday car, so things like changing the seats and striping things out dont really appeal to me if you know what I mean.

So, if I were to just get the cams reprofiled on top of the enclosed induction kit, decat, midbox removal, exhaust manifold and custom ecu remap, what kind of bhp do you think ill be hitting considering the standard block is 210bhp?

Thanks for the info Wayne ;)

Last edited:
The compression ratio is the amount the air in the cylinders is squashed. 10.9:1 is actually pretty high so as you say a supercharger will be out of the question unless you run it on really low boost.

Uprated fuelling is anything that will increase the delivery of fuel to the engine and can range from bigger injectors to a larger fuel pump.

Weight saving can be achieved in other ways. Replace the bonnet with carbon fibre for example, take out the spare wheel and tools/junk in the boot etc...

It is a real guess as the cam profile makes quite a difference but I would say you should expect around 40-50bhp for those modifications. (If the cam is too sporty you will end up with a cammy or lumpy tickover at low revs.)

Get the head gas flowed and ported and skimmed and this will further help you to get nearer to your power figure. Lookinto remaps and timing adjustments and you should be able to pull all of the mods together and hit your power figures.

Nitrous is a good way to add some instant power - I would think that you might get away with 50bhp Nitrous shot on your engine. Refilling the bottles is a pain though and this is not a street legal modification so can only be used on the track.

There has been a supercharged v6 406 coupe but that was the older 194bhp engine which I believe to have a compression ratio of 10.5 and he was running the supercharger at 14psi

Oh I see, well the injectors are pretty good on this engine, but uprating the injectors could be a problem as aftermarket parts for my car are very hard to get or dont exisit so a lot of the time is custom jobbies!

I have taken out the spare wheel, but equalled that out with my twin Vibe subs :lol: and Ive been wanting a carbon fibre bonnet for my car for ages because the standard on is so heavy, but again they dont exist for my car, so its a custom job and I dont even know where to even start to look!

Yeah thats the kind of power gains I want expecting you to say which great. When getting the cams reprofiled (or possibly finding a set of performance cams for the engine) Ill notify them that I still want a smooth engine so try and create a good balance of power and smoothness.

I have never done any of these Modifications before so how much would you estimate a head gas flowed, ported and skimming job to cost and do you have any places you recommend? and also, do you think a remap would be enough or do you think it would be better to invest in a stand alone ecu or is this not necessary?

Yeah I was thinking of adding a nitrous system after Ive done all the engine work but was thinking after increasing the power by other means that a 30bhp shot would be more appropriate and safe. Yeah a lot of things arent street legal ;):lol: How do you actually get them refilled, I remember reading a few year back that you have to send the tank off somewhere to have it refilled??

Thanks
Ant

I would always leave the remap to last. I've not heard of a Peugot running a custom engine management but this is entirely possible.

Not really sure who to recommend in SW London for the porting, I'm sure there are a few around that can do a good job for you.

Most of the places that sell Nitrous will offer a refill service. Sometimes the bottles are on an exchange basis and will be sent back/exchanged.

Thanks mate, will try and find some places relatively local and see what they say.
On the other hand, do you have anyone near you or the Dover/Folkstone area I could contact as I dont mind travelling for someone who can do a good job?.
Also, how much should I be expecting to pay for the head work on my car so I know if im being ripped off or not lol?
Thanks

The prices vary quite a bit depending on the head and number of valves.

There is no-one I can recommend really to do this. I used Bell engineering in Westgate on sea and they know how to put an engine together but you really need someone with a proper flow bench and tools to do a first class job.

Well I know I def have 24 valves lol Does anyone else know roughly how much head work would be on my pug 406 coupe v6? Just so I can have something to put down in my plans
Thanks

no way mate, youre forgetting you can map a V6 aswell, all in all the V6 is a better engine (no matter how much the tractor crew want to dispute) :lol:

The V6 is certainly sweeter sounding. I think a remapped 2.2 HDi is more than a match for it in performance terms but they don't sound so good. Not noisy, just dieselly.

The big question is whether you save any money with the diesel. I'm not sure you do, with the higher servicing costs and the more frequent services.

I just have a liking for the immense shove in the higher gears. I suppose if money was no object I'd have one of each.

Cheers,
Rgds,

Paul.

With those mods you mentioned I would say you would get to 260, not sure on the remap as some don't work too well with the standard unit. Sometimes a custom ecu, emerald etc maybe required to get it all singing together.

Are the pug blocks capable of increased capacity, apart from standard maching? I'd expect stroker kits to be like hens teeth on those.

What diff is it running? Getting an ATB or LSD will make a huge difference as will shedding some weight as they are not the leanest of cars.

You're right, the 406s are bloody heavy, whether estate, saloon or coupe models. That's one more benefit the V6 has over the 2.2 HDi is that it's lighter at the front end. The diesel blocks are weighty buggers and do tend to give a slightly understeery feel.

000_0065.jpg

000_0067.jpg

000_0070.jpg

000_0069.jpg

:D

The V6 Coupe - like my 406 V6 Saloon has the ES9 J4S PSA V6 engine in it. Porsche retuned this earlier ES9 J4 engine for Peugeot which involved head porting, intake and exhaust manifold mods using twin cats. In the std manifolds and heads are considered good enough for most motorsport applications is so there isn't much gain to be had from CNC porting.
Escosse Peogeot offer Kent and piper performance cams. They would be the place I would start.
Unless you know how model a cam profile and have an engine modelling software package to boot it is going to be tricky to get a good boost without trying lots of grinds.

Well I was just wondering could the v6 stand a turbo with standard internals or would I be better off with the 2.2 diesel for power? any info appreciated thanks

Greetings Micky306 and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)