Torque Cars

205 Tuning suggestions and tips

Discussion in '205/206/207/208 forums' started by obi_waynne, 10 December 2008.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    What tuning tips would you offer to a Peugeot 205 owner. It is the 1.6 GTi model and so has decent brakes and suspension.

I have a few ideas myself but really want to see what suggestions you guys come up with.

2. BAD63R

BAD63R Authorised Trader

Cornwall
    Car:
    MG TF135
    Yup, definatly go with the MI 16 engine with a 206. My firend (who still actually has the car) has the 2.0 16v engine but has been tuned to 179bhp. It has fast road cams, uprated conrods, pistons and all nessecery bolts etc. Csutom made inle manifold (as the original fouled the radiator) interior completely stripped, roll cage, adjustable gas shocks with eibach pro sport springs plus a few other goodies. The brakes are exactly the same as they originally were as he found that due to the light weight, the car kept locking up with bigger brakes, so the originals were used with uprated Wilwood pads and bobs ya uncle.

It's absolute beast and the entire conversion was done on a budget of £2000. The most expensive part was the inlet manifold beleive or not as that had to be made completly custome.

Definatly the way to go with these small hot hatches ;)

3. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    That was defineately along the lines I was thinking. I've seen conversion kits around that provide the mounts and manifold.

Of the 1.6 and 1.9 would you say there was much difference between them? Have you ever driven both? I've only had a short go in a 1.6 and that seemed quick enough to me.

How tunable are the MI16 engines then? Is 200 around the upper limit?

4. BAD63R

BAD63R Authorised Trader

Cornwall
    Car:
    MG TF135
    Anywhere between 200 and 250bhp is about the highest I've seen most 2.0 16v normally asperated engines, but then I have seen a couple over that mark that have used a progressive NOS system with twin 45 webbers or throttle boddies and of corse a LSD to help keep the power down a bit lol.

As far as differences, I can't tell you exactly as i've only had a little go and not owned either, I do know that the 1.9 has slightly bigger brakes where as the 1.6 had disks on the front and drums on the back, and the 1.9 had 1" bigger wheels. So for how cheap the 2 are it would definatly be worth gettin the 1.6. Then there were other differences such as a half leather as an option on the 1.9 etc.

Performance wise with original engines were 105bhp from the 1.6 and then in 1987 were fitted with acylinder head and valves from the 1.9 and then produced 115bhp. The 1.9 produced 130bhp but was then knocked down on later models to 122bhp due to a catalytic converter being fitted.

So it really depends on what path you want to take. To be fair I would go for the 1.6 as you will be uprating the brakes and suspension anyway, so may aswell save money and get the cheaper of the 2 ;)

5. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    I've drove both and the 1.9 is by far the best in my honest opinion. And tuning an Mi16 depends on the size of your wallet cause they can go to stupid power......:D

6. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    1.6 they had to ditch because of emissions regs,

still a good engine though. more revvy than the 1.9

you can stick to it if you want but if you do go for an engine swap then I know some people who would love to have your old engine off you

Last edited: 18 February 2010
  7. danzul

danzul Torque Junkie

lincolnshire
    Car:
    205 GTi at heart!

8. bouda205

bouda205 Newbie

Car:
    peugeot 205xs 1989
    .I have a pdf that explains everything if you want it....[/quote]

could you please send me this pdf cause iam a new 205 user and iam in need to it.

my msn messenger is abdo7@msn.com

9. dpsubaru

dpsubaru The Torque Meister

Scotland / Vietnam
    Car:
    Subaru WRX Turbo 04
    i had a 205 1.9gti and lowered the rear beam on her, it was great, (i changed the bearings etc at the same time) - difference was unbelievable on the handling (had Koni's all round as well)

10. AZUM

AZUM Wrench Pro

KENYA, NAIROBI
    Car:
    peugeot 206 x line
    Hi all,

i need some assistance on how to rectify a rev counter on peugeot 206.

On idle it tends to move backwards reading between 72 - 50.once the engine is switched off the idle needl points on 50 and not 0 as it should be.

The engine running is smooth but has a kind of a miss occasionally. And has no power when in first gear. Any one can advise me on this please

11. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    by the way the MI16 engine is brilliant, but a gti-6 engine would better to go for as it has more power out of the box and is more reliable and more fuel efficient it does weigh more then the MI16 but it is a much better engine, and also it isn't prone to oil surge like the older 16v 2.0 pug engines

Last edited: 18 February 2010
  12. AZUM

AZUM Wrench Pro

KENYA, NAIROBI
    Car:
    peugeot 206 x line
    Hi

i would be interested in viewing the pdf it would be helpful

thanks

13. carwyn

carwyn Full member

pencader
    Car:
    ford focus st-2
    this oil surge problem, is it just the 2.0 mi16 or does the 1.9 suffer too??

14. AZUM

AZUM Wrench Pro

KENYA, NAIROBI
    Car:
    peugeot 206 x line
    Hi

i don't think there is a oil surge problem.

15. carwyn

carwyn Full member

pencader
    Car:
    ford focus st-2
    i've read once or twice that it occurs to the mi16, not sure if its just the 205 conversions, any one else heard or know anything about this?

16. dpsubaru

Scotland / Vietnam
    Car:
    Subaru WRX Turbo 04
    not heard about any oil surge problems, my friend did this conversion, the only problem he had was the damn wiring. this is surely the worst part as Peugeot seem to have duplicate wires for everything.

17. carwyn

carwyn Full member

pencader
    Car:
    ford focus st-2
    any one know the widest tyre i can get onto a 1.9 gti wheel, i think they were originally 185's, but when i bought the car they 195's.. i'm just wondering about 205's, or am i being abit ambisious

18. dpsubaru

Scotland / Vietnam
    Car:
    Subaru WRX Turbo 04
    think that's it 195's. the part to watch out for is at the back with the inside of the tyres rubbing the rear wheel arches. Depends on how bad the bearings in the torsion bar are warn. I had 195's on the back of my 1.9 and they were rubbing the insides as the bearings were warn. replaced the barings and then lowered the torsion bar. even with new bearings you couldnt even get a hand between the wheel and the arch - but well worth it! Handling had been superb before now it was just unbelievable,

19. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    the gti6 engine has a baffled sup on it, and has a better head design,

if you already have an mi16 205 then just a head swap and a gti6 sump would do it.
    Head is a direct replacement

20. 205 GOD

205 GOD Tuner

UK-Atherstone
    Car:
    205 MI16
    the MI16 only suffers from surges if u go round a bend really fast for to long, the MI16 engine is muh cheaper than the GTI6 lump, im about to take delivery of a 306 S16 with the 6 speed box from a GTI6, also coming with it is a 306 convertable, im stripping the S16 and putting everything into the convertable so it will be a 306 S16 convertable (ready for the summer), i dnt think theres much between the 1.6 and 1.9, in a straight line they stay side by side until about 60mph then the 1.9 slowly pulls away as it has slightly abit more torque.
    if ure friend is thinkin of a MI16 or GTI6 conversion then i would definatly fit 1.9gti brakes all round, the best thing bout these conversions is that you can leave the original gear box in as the GTI6 andMI16 engines fit .

21. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    Really?
    I would have thought the the s16 or the mi16 engine would be more expensive because they are few and far between compared to a gti6 Personally I would still go for a gti6 cause it's more modern, easily available and more reliable

205 gti 1.9 rear beam is a must

but front brakes there are more options
    306 gti6
    306 s16
    206 gti180
    307 2.0i / 2.0hdi 137

These are all direct fit onto the front of the 205 brand new the 307 brakes are the cheapest they are the same as the gti180 brakes as well however if you can find some the gti6 brakes in a scrapper then they are awesome value for money

22. 205 GOD

205 GOD Tuner

UK-Atherstone
    Car:
    205 MI16
    i always thought the GTI6 was more money as its more modern, i have never looked into it,
    as jarrus464 said, 1.9gti rear beam is a must if u are going to put a bigger and more powerful engine in

23. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    Something I would mention while I remember is that mi16's and gti6's can have the capacities increased quite a lot by using some parts out of other pug engines,

Can't remember who did it but a guy made a 2.4l mi16 engine, it was bored out to 88 mm and had an xud11 crank with a stroke of 94.5mm!?!!
    (off the 406 2.1 dt xud11 engine)

Which makes it an oversqaure engine so it isn't going to be as revvy as it was in standard from

theres a video on you tube of it, it's in a 205 as well :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQKSrdmEzwc

24. 205 GOD

205 GOD Tuner

UK-Atherstone
    Car:
    205 MI16
    thats alot of brake in such a little car lol, id love to have ago.

25. farafiso

farafiso Full member

lebanon - beirout
    Car:
    Peugeot 205 Gti 1.9
    hey guys, i have a 1.6 205 that i installed a 1.9 engine,but still not enough power for me so im installing a turbo in a couple of days, any advice before i go on with the project ? parts,methods,... ?