2 cars or an allrounder

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Is is better to get two cars, one for the daily commute and one for fun at weekends or would an allround car do the job adequately?

What are your thoughts on this debate?

Perhaps to get you thinking I'd throw in a couple of options, but feel free to make your own suggestions:
Fiat 500 1.2 for daily running
Honda S2000 for weekends and fun

Ford Fiesta 1.4
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X

BMW 120D (lowest tax band and very economical)
Nissan Skyline R33

Which cars would be good candidates for an all rounder?

I spent ages looking for an all rounder that I actually liked driving (a lot)

And as always its a compromise performance or mpg.

I needed an estate or a large hatchback and wanted one that was quick and had proper handling without having to mod it .

Had to look current and have a decent interior with all the modern gadgets . Also had to be awd

The solution (which had to be imported from Japan)

Its a Toyota Caldina GT Four N spec .

Ive been driving it now for 8 months and will definately be keeping it for quite a while.

I wont sell the GTR or the Stagea but the caldina means I can go out for a drive and still surprise an awful lot of cars.
The only downside is 23mpg (more on a run ) which is a small price to pay for me anyway)

I have been running two cars for many years. As I commute 350 miles a week a fast road car would cost me a bit to run. However the main reason is I have three Dalmatians so need a big hatch area. I also need a decent tow vehicle for the caravan and the winters we now see means something safe and capable is needed. It also means I can play around with the MG and not worry about rushing to complete a job because I need to get to work. Also if I had an 'off' on track it still means I can get to work! The MG only costs £138 a year to insure on a classic policy so that helps.

I spent ages looking for an all rounder that I actually liked driving (a lot)

And as always its a compromise performance or mpg.

I needed an estate or a large hatchback and wanted one that was quick and had proper handling without having to mod it .

Had to look current and have a decent interior with all the modern gadgets . Also had to be awd

The solution (which had to be imported from Japan)

Its a Toyota Caldina GT Four N spec .

Ive been driving it now for 8 months and will definately be keeping it for quite a while.

I wont sell the GTR or the Stagea but the caldina means I can go out for a drive and still surprise an awful lot of cars.
The only downside is 23mpg (more on a run ) which is a small price to pay for me anyway)
I really like that, I didn't even know they existed until you bought it and told us about it! I wonder what else is out there for me to discover.

I have my every day Colorado 4x4 diesel to tow my Starion to events.
The Starion is still registered so I can still drive on the road as I like to have a 100 k drive once a month .
I used to drive to events for a number of years till I had a problem at 1 event many miles from home so that is when it was time to invest in a tandem car trailer.

I used to do the two car thing. I had a heavily tuned, highly strung, loud and uncomfortable road car... and a Range Rover as the daily comfort. Decided to quit it in the end, hence the RS6 came along. It can do quiet, loud, firm, soft, cruise around in slushy auto or bang and pop in flappy-manual with lightening quick shifts plus it's Quattro so it works come rain, shine or snow. I've a feeling i'll keep this beast for a while as it really has been a fantastic all-rounder.

The other random benefit of not having two cars... I'm not forever realising what I need is in the boot of the other car about 10 miles down the road!

All rounder - why have a car you don't like for the majority of your motoring?

You may still like it but its not practical for the daily runs. I personally have 3 cars. A daily runner a roof down lets have fun car & a insanely quick monster. I like all 3 but would not want to use the quick car for pottering about its too highly strung. The other 2 could be used daily but one only has two seat & no room for the grass bags . If I want a billion miles to the gallon I can always take the Missus's little box.

I couldn't manage with just one, so I have three, Volvo S60 as the run around, Volvo T-5R as my daily work horse and the T10k as a toy.

3 cars = thats why! when I took 3 slices of cake mum said I was greedy! When I ate 3 dinners I was told I was greedy so I just naturally assumed that having 3 cars made a person greedy!

I don't see it as a negative thing, in my mind it translates to Top Dog, fulfilled, happy and satisfied. Perhaps I should check with a dictionary!

I currently have 5 vehicles, sure excessive I know and not ideal however I think without spending too much 3 should be about right,

MX5 for cornering and country lanes
VW T4 for moving things and sleeping out
mk3 Mondeo for pure practicability and a good drive

I currently have a mk4 mondeo, mx5, W124 mercedes coupe, Volvo xc90 and a motorhome, covers everything

Happy new year