1.6 ecotec just blew

chewy1986

Tuner
Car
freelander td4
hi all my brothers 1.6 ecotec as just blew, he has a 1.8 16v engine availble to drop in as a replacement, what i want to know is would he be able to run all the original gear with this engine or would he have to change anything ie gearbox, clutch, drive shafts etc.

mat

What was he doing to it in order to blow it up!:eek:

Is the 1.8 16V engine from an Astra? Do you know which gearbox he has in the car?

My guess is that it will probably fit but the ratios are likely to be very close.

Last edited:
hi wayne
his cambelt went on the motorway and when he openend up the head he said it was just a complete mess, the 1.8 engine he got is from another vectra from the same year (97) he hasnt got the gearbox with it, he was hoping that he could mate it with the f16/ f17 box that is already in the car

Right, aslong as the gearbox is a 5 speed, any Vauxahll engine will mate to any Vauxhall gearbox. Only thing with this is some may not take the power of the engine it's mated to. The F16 is absolutly fine for the 1.8 120bhp engine but funnily enough if he has the version that is 130bhp then you would need an F20 from a red top Cav or Calibra or even an Astra GSi.

The F16 is also a pretty good box for a close ration as all you need to do is add a 6th gear and you have the F28 fromt he Cav and Calibra Turbo. Just make sure the flywheels fits inbetween and that he has the right clutch. Other than that all you need is one engine mount that is slightly different to the 1.6

The one for the gearbox he's using. The clutch should mate up ok if the flywheel is right. I think it's gonna either be the 1.6 Flywheel and F16 clutch or the 1.8 flywheel and F16 Clutch.

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back