03 vs 04

Hello all . Can anyone tell me if there is much diffrence between my 04 plate pug 206 gti and my friends 03 plate . So far all i can see is i have a esp button lol . And are all of the stearings this heavey . I just came from a golf gt tdi 115 that was easyer to stear than this .... any common faults i should be on the look out for ? Ive got a bit of juddering when pulling off in 1st gear i think maybe a bit of sliping of clutch ? But the car was sat for a while with a oil leak suposidly from the oil filter ? He had it fixed before he moted it . Maybe oil on clutch i dnt know i havent a clue really.... anyways thanks for looking at my post and thanks for any thoughts or feedback ..cheers virgin

have you checked the power steering fluid? as the steering has a real nice weight to it normally on a gti.
juddering could very well be clutch related, out of interest when did the car last have a proper full service?

I dont know about service andy206 didnt get anything like that . I will check power stearing fluid tommorrow when i wake up . just got 12 mot few days ago . When i got it . It failed on gators . And corroded back disk . Both fixed with the oil leak from the oil filter .and past by the garage i got it from . The clutch seem to want to engage as soon as i lift foot but it shakes for a few inches then the real biteing point kicks in nearly at top of pedal . It dont do it as much if i put revs up to 2k or so and step off it quicker but i get a lil wheel spin sumtimes and who wants that all the time lol ... . Took it out for a nice trip today the stearing dose seem to be a bit heavey till you going faster then it seems to be more responsive . I know all cars do that but just took me by surprise when overtakeing a car earlyer . I went a bit to wide and cut in a bit to sharp lol. Nothing major maybe just me not being used to it . . Also it dont roll straight it pulls to the left when u let go of wheel or put foot down a bit and seems like it pulls to the right under breaking . Hopeing its not anything bad related to heavey stearing . And input or feedback will be apreicated . Sorry about my spelling/ grammer also its 5am and im about asleep. Lol cheers virgin

Last edited:
have you checked the power steering fluid? as the steering has a real nice weight to it normally on a gti.
juddering could very well be clutch related, out of interest when did the car last have a proper full service?
i have checked power stearing fluid all is ok . So stearing is not down to that .cheers virgin

sorry bud, didnt mean to sound like i was having a go. The car just sounds like a money pit waiting to happen.

No harm done pal . It might well be a money pit i dont know . I can tell it will be getting a new clutch tho in a month or 2 hope it lasts that long . I got it for a grand so not that bad . I get payed every few months so just hanging on to hope it lasts . . I like it so far it pulls well no loss of power no over heating probs or head gasket issues i think a new clutch and breaks anx it will last a while .cheers virgin

Maybe a upgraded exsaust as well. Going to have a little drive about tomoz with my pal see how it gos against his 03 plate thats got no esp and 40k more miles on clock .cheers virgin

Cheers t9 ill have a look at youtube tomoz see what its saying.i had a little drive about with pal there wasnt even a nats ballsack skin differance basicly neck and neck from 10 -120 mph. Im like 5 stones heaveyer and had a quarter tank more fuel . And his engine management light ended up coming on so i claim a silent victory. Lmao. . Cheers virgin

the steering you talk about if its a tad heavy initially then that is normal, mine is the same it gives you some good feedback, alot of modern cars lack that feel imo.

stick a k&n panel filter in there, clean the throttle bodie out (trust me it will be dirty) check when it last had the cam and drive belt changed as well.

the exhaust is worth doing especially the manifold as thats quite restrictive but aftermarket manifolds start at around £325, ill report back how i find my ecosse one in the next few months.
the inlet manifold is also terrible on these and is a way peugeot restricted the power on the engine, the only upgrade here is going for the 180 inlet but its not a straight forward bolt on fit you need a few different parts, or dth throttle bodies which will come in at around 2k ish fitted/mapped

Cheers andy . Ill do a tb clean over the weekend sometime . Also look in to a k&n filter . Was thinking of tht tbh . But tb clean is new to me . . Im changeing out my coilpack overweekend as well as it chucked up a bank 1 fault on obd reader . Its off a vts will this be ok you think guys . Or do they spark at dif rates i dnt know tbh cheers gtivirgin .

St24 always carefull driveing mate. And on very quiet a road . With no chance for car to merge till we get to next island . So long as we wait a couple mins before entering road we have a good clear mile and half to playwith . Cheers gtivirgin

i would personally get a proper gti coilpack matey, vts is only 1.6 remember.

you can pick up a k&n panel filter from jjc on ebay for under £30, another thing id do is treat it to a bottle of redex trust me it works, half a bottle per each full tank of fuel.

I will check out the filters on ebay later on see if i can get one orderd asap . I havent even checked anything on mine yet . Might see if i can get a set of plugs for it while im there . . . I read that the bosh ones are the best and not to bover with any raceing ones or anything .

dont know where these horror stories come from fella its been proven for years trust me on that one

just normal bosch plugs cost around £15-16 for the set

Im only going off the petrol injector version. I know for a fact it works from personal experiences on some of my cars and other family members etc

Bosch sorry not bosh . So andy if i was to find a 180 on a breakers site . What is it i should ask for . The whole air intake ? And will it just go straight on mine or will i have to get something eles to make it fit . . Also will i have to.remap it after or will it adjust to the higer volume of air comeing in to the engine ? . Cheers for your feedback gtivirgin

Im quite happy with the car so far . Had a little dust up with my pal hes got a 3.0 jag auto 08 plate . And it keeps up with that till 120 then i dropped back didnt fancy takeing a bend at those sorts of speeds . He was only say ten metres infront of me . But he didnt have the magical (S) SPORTS button pushed lmao as he says . Its really quite a nippy car . Fastest ive had so far anyway. .just got to take care of it now while slowly but surely upgradeing it as much as i can.......

Bosch sorry not bosh . So andy if i was to find a 180 on a breakers site . What is it i should ask for . The whole air intake ? And will it just go straight on mine or will i have to get something eles to make it fit . . Also will i have to.remap it after or will it adjust to the higer volume of air comeing in to the engine ? . Cheers for your feedback gtivirgin

the 180 inlet conversion is not a straight forward one but very worthwhile
you would need
inlet
180 alternator
gti6 throttle bodie
gti6 icv
it requires the dipstick moving over slightly and either joining up to oe airbox or going aftermarket with a bmc cda or similar.

you will certainly need a remap after fitting as the airflow is affected greatly.

if i was you id look at getting a good cat back system and k&n filter first then if your budget allows either go for the supersprint exhaust manifold that joins to existing oe cat or go for the maniflow one which will essentially de cat your car so you would need a de cat n all, imo its not worth de catting for the very minimal if any gain you get.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back