Which car maker has made the most progress

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Over the last 10 years which car make stands out to you as making the most progress?

I'd tip Skoda who have come from the Shocking Estelle to the Superb er um Superb? Perhaps being taken over by VAG was cheating a little :)

Which maker do you think has come the furthest then? And why do you say so?

yeah id have said skoda as well, they used to be the brunt of most of the car jokes, the engine and platform sharing has allowed them to turn out decent cars for theyre lower prices.
id also say the likes of the korean market (kia hyundai) have came on a long way as well

with pgarner skoda and seat little bias maybe but would probably say hyundia with the service, warranty, and range they have and the new coupe i would be proud to have 1 on my drive underpowered yes but still a great car all round
and also kia same as with hyundia and the ceed is high up on the list for the mrs next car

I have to plump for Vauxhall :amazed:

The new range of VXR's are spot on and i think cater for EVERYONE.

Corsa VXR - For the younger scrotes that like a hoon about - a good looking car with huge tuning potential and attracts the females due to the 'cute' factor.

Astra VXR - For the slightly older scrotes that like a hoon about and again, with huge tuning potential and the ladies like as they think the drivers are doing well for themselves so might be a good catch for the future.

Vectra VXR - For the more mature scrotes (like me) that think they like a hoon about and have considered both of the above but have decided they would look too 'chavvy' in them and really cannot pull off looking 20-25 anymore.

Meriva VXR - Small family car where the Dad just knows he is still a Corsa VXR driver at heart but has to think about the little ones in the back that are dribbling over his leather seats and how he cannot be bothered to keep pulling the seats up and down everytime junior/s want to get in the back. **Daddy quite cool**

Zafira VXR - The larger family car where the dad knows he really wants an Astra VXR but wifey won't let him and also has the kids to think about in the back that keep saying, "are we there yet" and he knows he won't be long until he is and that grin is just priceless. **Daddy cool**

All look fantastic, easily tuned and affordable, just my 2p worth! :D

You're keen on your Vauxhalls, Tex. I have to say that I'm not a fan especially, although I agree that the models have come on a bundle in recent years. But, then so has the competition from Ford.

Are we allowed to consider marques such as Seat and Skoda? Or is this unfair since they're just badge engineered VWs now?

I would probably nominate Hyundai and Kia.

You're keen on your Vauxhalls, Tex. I have to say that I'm not a fan especially, although I agree that the models have come on a bundle in recent years. But, then so has the competition from Ford.

Are we allowed to consider marques such as Seat and Skoda? Or is this unfair since they're just badge engineered VWs now?

I would probably nominate Hyundai and Kia.

Yes, i am a little bias towards Vauxhalls, but someone has to be ;)

Fords have indeed come on too, however i'm not so sure that the new Focus inspires me much, the new Fiesta look very sweet and the TDCI engines very good.

However, i am not going to nominate anything Korean for personal reasons, Skoda have come on leaps and bounds and even found myself considering a Octavia RS!

Alfa IMO

Nice cars these days, wasnt really fond a few years ago and their reliability...

Room for improvement though, but they're a nice 'cheap' option if you're a businessman on the up.

What about the MITO? Not a fan of that one but the 147 and 156 were good motors.

At this point if I was in the market for a brand new mass market car it'd have to be a Mondeo for sheer all round excellence.

I totally agree with you there hdi. Mondeos are great alround cars. I had a diesel turbo and it never ever let me down. Always started first turn of the key. Took me efffortlessly to anglesey plenty of times. An it's bout 350 miles each way. great cars.

EASY. Audi.
Progress? They've gone from useful saloons with a good ethos of practicality with subtle performance and rally thoroughbred, they now stand on EVERY office forecourt in the UK, A3's through to big A5/A6's for the bigger earners.
Unfortunately they've lost their spark, i love old audis, hate modern ones. They just feel like a MErcedes clone now, but better.

Alfa on the other hand, VERY interested in theri future, I love the Mito and couldnt be beaten at the motorshow this year, I was comapring everything to their style and value. Vauxhall, great new jag-like model for the regular vectra upgrader but we'll see how general motors last.

The WINNER will be the first affordable, practical stylish range of hydrogen vehicles. Think that's going to be Ford, everyone else still to hung up on petrol+diesel... which ISNT the future, regardless of how much is left.

Watch james bond, every car is hydrogen. The subliminals have set in, its just a matter of time. Personally, I would love the HHO technology to be invested in, however it's not going to happen... to many Masons with money in Oil and gas :(