Headlight tinting

Well I already bought the tint a while ago anyway. Do you really think the police would notice it's tint?

In general, no, the police wouldn't notice. Certainly not unless they're on some kind of crackdown mission, and certainly not at night. Most won't be sufficiently versed in the construction and usage regulations to be able to take issue with it at the roadside. Certainly not to the point that they'd pull you over for that alone.

If you do go ahead with a lens tint then please do buy a copy of Butterworth's Police Law (read it) and acquaint yourself with the Police and Criminal Evidence Act.

This might well be enough to dig yourself out in the event you're stopped and challenged.

Even better,
Get some NICE BRIGHT lamps and enjoy driving fast and safely with proper vision.

Blimey, -- I'm getting old :-(

But why do you want to fit stuff to your car that reduces vision and visibility?

a way to solve this ask for a good HID kit for ur B'day, if not just go and buy one urself and make sure u set it up properly leave yourself pleny of time blah blah blah.... !!!!!! or buy White lights as they will look good and be very bright!

a way to solve this ask for a good HID kit for ur B'day, if not just go and buy one urself and make sure u set it up properly leave yourself pleny of time blah blah blah.... !!!!!! or buy White lights as they will look good and be very bright!

No, you cannot comply with construction and usage legislation with an aftermarket conversion.

"No, you cannot comply with construction and usage legislation with an aftermarket conversion. "

i was waiting for some1 to come back with that one,
obv this kit is complicated and would require professional attention, if you do not want the aftermarket one then go to a very repuatable garage and ask what u can do with your highlights/bulbs
i hope this is more satisfactory HDi:bigsmile:

"No, you cannot comply with construction and usage legislation with an aftermarket conversion. "

i was waiting for some1 to come back with that one,
obv this kit is complicated and would require professional attention, if you do not want the aftermarket one then go to a very repuatable garage and ask what u can do with your highlights/bulbs
i hope this is more satisfactory HDi:bigsmile:

A reputable garage will supply you with the same information. You cannot lawfully drive a car with aftermarket HIDs installed. Even if you fit all the obligatory stuff, self levelling light enclosures, wash systems etc. your car would still require type approval certification for the lighting alone.

A reputable garage will supply you with the same information. You cannot lawfully drive a car with aftermarket HIDs installed. Even if you fit all the obligatory stuff, self levelling light enclosures, wash systems etc. your car would still require type approval certification for the lighting alone.

A well there u go I didn't know the type approval certification, u learn somethin new everyday, how would you go about getting this out of interest ?

Sorry if I confussled any1 with earlier posts !

I just want blue lights is that such a crime? I'll get someone to tint the headlights and sidelights one or two coats of blue tint spray, see what happens

Ok all I need to know now is are you definitely sure they're road legal, including the sidelight ones? And will they both be blue blue? Can I only buy them online?

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-w5w-xenon-c-597.html

The Osram and Philips sidelights are definitely legal. The bottom ones are questionable in my opinion. But if they're E-marked then that's fine.

I can promise you 100% that the Osram Cool Blue and Philips blue vision lamps are both completely road legal fitted to either dipped beam, main beam, or both. They are E-marked as such. You must not use lamps with wattages greater than 55w.

The only time you would struggle perhaps is if you had a standard lamp one side and a blue one the other side. It is a requirement that both lamps are of the same intensity and colour.

You will notice that when the lights are switched off the blue filter is visible in the reflector.

Ok I ordered them. They should be coming on Monday hopefully, if not they should be here on Tuesday
I'll take the other bulbs back to Halfrauds and I'll get them to put these new bulbs in.. while they think that they're my old bulbs.. a free fitting haha. I hope they don't realise.

Ok I ordered them. They should be coming on Monday hopefully, if not they should be here on Tuesday
I'll take the other bulbs back to Halfrauds and I'll get them to put these new bulbs in.. while they think that they're my old bulbs.. a free fitting haha. I hope they don't realise.

That's a little bit unfair.:)

Well they ended up charging me another £20 for fitting... just for fitting 4 bulbs... oh well. Also whoever told me to get those Osram bulbs is an idiot... they're bright white again but actually not brighter than the previous bulbs I bought. Also one of the previous ones I bought bust, so that cost another £20. So whoever told me to get those Osram bulbs made me waste £20 for fitting, £20 for the bust bulb and about £35 for buying those bulbs. That's £75 wasted...

Well they ended up charging me another £20 for fitting... just for fitting 4 bulbs... oh well. Also whoever told me to get those Osram bulbs is an idiot... they're bright white again but actually not brighter than the previous bulbs I bought. Also one of the previous ones I bought bust, so that cost another £20. So whoever told me to get those Osram bulbs made me waste £20 for fitting, £20 for the bust bulb and about £35 for buying those bulbs. That's £75 wasted...

Which did you order?

The Philips Bluevision and Osram Cool Blues will blue as opposed to apparently white.

How blue do you want them to be? Unlawfully so?

If you're unhappy with them then I'm quite confident that Auto Bulbs Direct will offer a full refund. You will not be able to get an obviously deep blue lamp that complies with vehicle construction and usage regulations.

Now, if you're referring to me as an idiot then please desist forthwith.

By way of example, I am not the individual who is unable to replace a set of headlamp bulbs without explicit instructions.

I'm also not the individual who wants such deep blue/violet lamps that render my car invisible to other road users and them invisible to me, as a driver, as a result of the inadequate illumination they afford

If you want to break all the rules, go and source a set of 130 watt examples with dark blue filters. But do consider that you will be breaching road traffic legislation. You will also put significant load upon the wiring in your car, which, in turn, presents a risk of fire.

Paul Anderson.

Yeah I ordered the Osram cool blue ones like you said, and they don't look blue at all. The guy in Halfords said they won't be any bluer, he was right. And when he put them on he said they don't look even a hint of blue, and me and my friend thought the same thing. I just wanted them blue-ish just like lots of other people on the road have.
I might get a full refund but it'll cost me another £20 to get the bulbs out of my car.. I might as well leave them in.
Replacing bulbs on my car isn't easy.. you don't just unscrew them off. There's a clip and the bulbs have to be held in position.. they don't screw in

Yeah I ordered the Osram cool blue ones like you said, and they don't look blue at all. The guy in Halfords said they won't be any bluer, he was right. And when he put them on he said they don't look even a hint of blue, and me and my friend thought the same thing. I just wanted them blue-ish just like lots of other people on the road have.
I might get a full refund but it'll cost me another £20 to get the bulbs out of my car.. I might as well leave them in.
Replacing bulbs on my car isn't easy.. you don't just unscrew them off. There's a clip and the bulbs have to be held in position.. they don't screw in

No headlight lamps screw in. They're all connected and mounted in the way you describe. They have to be held in position so that the filament assumes the correct position within the enclosure such that the beam pattern, alignment and distribution of illumination is correct and complies with vehicle construction and usage legislation.

If you're comparing the colour temperature of your lamps (by which I refer to the black body radiation temperature in degrees Kelvin relative to absolue zero - although the Kelvin scale is absolute by definition) against HIDs then you will never get that colour rendition and dispersion of light at a level of brightness that is acceptable.

Again, how blue do you want them to be? Unlawfully so? Such that your vision of the road is significantly impaired? Osram and Philips will, and indeed do, push the boundaries are far as possible without contravening legal requirements. Or are you willing to flout the law, and, indeed, commonsense advice?

The lighting provided by factory fit HIDs is still not considered by all to be the best. The light offered by such devices is comprised of a series of line spectra, which is typical of any discharge lamp, indeed, fluorescent tubes are far from white. There are many questions as to the suitability of them [discharge lighting systems] for foward facing vehicle lighting. Yes, they're bright, indisputedly so, and pretty to observe. The jury is still out as to the way such non contiguous light sources affect ones perception of what one believes to have seen. This is a very subjective point and I'm curious to avail myself of further evidence as a result of research.

In short, I am not an idiot, and I assume that of you likewise.

Well I just wanted blue-ish lights, I've seen lots of other people on the road with them so I thought I could get them too, I didn't think it'd be this difficult

In that case you're going to have to bend the rules a bit and buy some poor quality lamps with very deep blue envelopes.

It's up to you to verify the authenticity and validity of the claims for road legality.

Personally I'd steer clear and fit a set of very nice bright lamps.

Forget it

Mate think about this... If your spray your headlights blue and get pulled by the police they are certainly not gonna stand by the side of the road and wiat for you to scrape it all off. They will just remove the car from the road until you bought some new lights with you and fitted them in the impound. Your choice entirely but if you want blue lights get the vinyl stuff as it can be easily pulled off...;)

Blimey, slightly petulant if I might comment.

I thought the same. I was only offering some advice. Anyway if this guy had read what I put a few days ago then he would of bought some blue LED sidelights and stuck them in to have blue lights. Mine are rainbow and change different colours and only cost 10 quid from halfrauds.....

I actually thought that the Philips and Osram blue 55watt ones worked quite well.

They don't appeal to me personally but they certainly are colder in appearance that a clear lamp.

I used to use Osram Nightbreakers but I've had too many early lamp failures (I do use dipped beams nearly all the time). They are, however, absolutely superb. They use a dual ring coating which adds a slightly blue light for appearance but keep the filament within the clear part for brightness.

I've downgraded to Osram Silverstars because I simply cannot afford to be replacing lamps every 3 months at fifteen quid each. These, too, are very effective.

I thought the same. I was only offering some advice. Anyway if this guy had read what I put a few days ago then he would of bought some blue LED sidelights and stuck them in to have blue lights. Mine are rainbow and change different colours and only cost 10 quid from halfrauds.....

How would they be legal if they're blue?

How would they be legal if they're blue?

I never said my lights was legal? But I do carry the standard bulbs in case I do get stopped for them. Then I can just remove then coloured 1's and replace them with the standard bulbs in a matter of minutes.... If you want true blue lights then they are gonna be illegal....

I'm getting a bit bored of this discussion now. It's going round and round in circles. Chris wants the whole world to change for him and him alone. It won't.

Accept that your headlights will be closer to white than any other colour or accept the fact that they can be bright green provided you don't mind driving unlawfully and attracting a lot of police attention. Along with quite a lot of derision from other road users.