civic 2.2

jmaca

Tuner
Car
to many list!!
hi, im new to this forum, any 1 know how hard it is to put a 2.2 vti into a civic coupe? i do alot of engine conversions but ive never done one of these before. does it go pretty much straight in ???

hi, im new to this forum, any 1 know how hard it is to put a 2.2 vti into a civic coupe? i do alot of engine conversions but ive never done one of these before. does it go pretty much straight in ???

nice car the civic coupe, nearly got 1 last year but under close inspection had been given an almighty bash on passenger side (could see the respray underneath) :(

It is a major job and only a few people have actually completed it. I would steer you in the direction of a Type R engine instead.

The other engines appears to just be a list of Honda engines - many of these require custom mounts and/or cutting away the metal from the engine bay! There are also going to be gearbox issues with many of these.

Last edited:
im still tempted to av a go, ill be buying a fulll car so i should have everything, i was just a little concerned about the drive shafts, i 2L turbo'd my nova and i had to get my shafts from courtney. not sure of anywhere that makes them if i need them

We will give you as much support as we can. I'd like to follow the progress of a conversion like this. Please take lots of pictures and maybee we can help others from your experiences. If you got a 2.0 Turbo in a Nova you've proved yourself as a capable engine swapper and are ready for a challenge.

going to get an accord with a 2.2 vtec (jap import) conversion on sunday.i'll have the engine for my civic and a few spares for my accord!!! wohoo!!

Good luck. Keep a record of the work in progress and take lots of pics this would be worthy of a main site article.

got my accord yesterday, its a ajp imported prelude lump grafted into an accord. i dnt think this is guna be to hard to pull off, ive got untill donny north to do the conversion, get it running, and respray the car. hmmm, any1 got a time machine????

Talk about putting yourself under pressure! Good luck, let us know if you need any info.

can anyone tell me if the gearbox on a prelude 2.2 vtec is cable operated or rod. guna post sum pics of my civic and my accord soon, see what people think.

hi man,,nice if you do it but waynne is absolutly right....your going to suffer...both work and money needs to achieve this...ive always thought to myself of doing this.i have the engiene already but when i bought a copy of slick magazine,a guy that done what were talking about said it was nearly impossable.

.he had to order loads from the states and broke hid bankroll by nearly 10 times and the waiting on parts is another story...waynne says get a type r civic engiene and hes right and plus,their nearly the same bhp,parts are handy to pick up and as far as i know,the only thing you need to remove is the air condition...

hope what ever you decide to do,you do it well and best of luck with the whole thing,,but consider your options first ...

its better to weigh up the odds than starting somthing and then been stuck on somthing couple of weeks down the line...let me know whats happening mate,,

Last edited by a moderator:
well i started on the civic last week, got the engine ripped out but ive been really busy so i aint got round to taking the 2.2 out yet, i no im pushing it for donny show but im still 75/25 that ill get it done in time (ill have to or else im guna be walking!!!!!) when i do it i will do a wright up so anyone who wants to attempt it will have a guide.
back soon.............

Take lots of pics - this would be feature worthy on the main site. Good luck and let us know if you need any pointers.

do mate,write everything from where you bought parts to how much...not been smart or anything,but you could have a best seller if you write a good book on this...a lot of people want to do this as a 2.2 vtec in a civic that weighs as much as my underpants is so quick you could beat subarus [if its tuned proper]and im serious their unbelievably fast engiens,trust me,i have 1 and the prelude shell is very heavy..if you can get that engiene up to 270 bhp[and it can be done without turbo or supercharging] you have a very very fast car..more power to you and hope it goes well for you ..best of lusk mate

well its started, i aint got time to wait for the conversion harness so ive had a good friend (who is a excellent auto electrician) re-wire the harnesses so i can just fit and go, the drive shafts are a bit of a head ache but ive got one thing to try in the morning with the hubs or else im guna have to get them machined and re-splined. so far tho the only problems ive com accross is the driveshafts and the wiring. ive got a company who will do the drive shafts if needed and if i get them there early enough tomorrow i should have them back for monday. ive got the gear linkages to change around (going from rods to cables) and then its just a case of welding in mounts etc. . . . .
if things go to plan tomorrow i could have this up and running by next week.
so far i dare say this is NOT a complicated conversion, just not really siutable on your driveway lol.
ill keep you posted

had a problem yesterday, i tried to "cheat" and fit the whole leg assembelly off the accord on to the civic, it worked but i only had about 1mm clearence off the coilover and then i hit another problem, the stud pattern was different so my buddy club wheels wouldnt fit!!!!
so after countless calculations and a major head ache ive sent the accord driveshafts away to be machine'd and re-splined to suit the civic cv joints. i should get them back by wednesday and then i can fit the engine. still, trying for donny (sunday 28th!!!)
today ive been changing the gear shifter from rods to cables so its ready for when the lumps dropped in.
ive got a d16 stainless manifold and quickshift for sale if anyones intrested £45 for th pair. its a japspeed mani, not sure on the make of the quickshift

Last edited by a moderator:
ive had a couple of set backs the last few days (one of my dogs died:() so unfortunetly im guna miss my deadline for donny. the good news is the drive shafts got sent off at 8:00 am monday and were back by 4:00 pm the same day!!! hows that for service!!! they fit too!! my calculations were good. the engine is sat in place now and the bonnet shuts fine with a fingers clearence. i fitted new timing belts and tentioners and a new balancershaft oil seal yesterday and i got all the gear shifter mech finished and mounted and the cables run in and working. tomorrows job is guna be sorting the engine mounts and welding them in place. got my over size racing radiator yesterday which should put the coolant level back to what it was in the original car. progress is going good and ive got lots of photos of the conversion hope to have it done for next week now

cheers mate, yeah i aint booked any work in so i can have some time to do it, i started doing the engine mounts today , hopefully i'll get them finished tomorrw and then i can fit the engine. im having sunday off cos im off to donny for the day. anyone here going?

i finished putting my 2.2 vtec motor into my civic coupe the other day but all i need is a sensor which goes on to the back of the throttle body if anyone knows where i can get one and yes drive shafts aint fun to do but do yours sit on an angle now instead of straight

all these projects, sounds amazing

how do u have the knowledge for conversions like these? are u mechanics or something on them lines?

also roughly how old are you as i cant see people under 21 or so being able to afford things like these

im 25, i am a mechanic but i mostly do bodywork etc.. now, i rent a part of my dads garage from him for my own buisness, between us there aint much we cant do. cos i do the work myself i dont have to pay labour costs so it doesnt cost as much lol.

ive decided to paint the coupe an icey white with a black bonnet, roof and tailgate. different i know but i like to be different. aint had much chance to do much on it the last couple of days, i got the engine mount cradle made and welded in place, and the gearbox mount is hopefully somewhere near aswell. ive cleaned all the engine cos someone had painted it all black but its back to clean alluminium now.

i only got partial history with the engine cos it had been taken from a prelude and put into an accord but i know it was a jap imported k reg prelude and its a red top vtec but can anyone shed some light on bhp??? ive had people say its 187, 197, 200, 220, 230 etc. . . .

my drive shafts sit straight, if yours are at angles you'll probably end up poping the shafts out or damaging the driveshafts. if they are on angles, when you work the steering from side to side the driveshaft will be moving forwards and back ain they mite even touch the struts. sounds like you've sat it to far forward, have you checked to see if the alternator still fits?? mine was really tight.

i only got partial history with the engine cos it had been taken from a prelude and put into an accord but i know it was a jap imported k reg prelude and its a red top vtec but can anyone shed some light on bhp??? ive had people say its 187, 197, 200, 220, 230 etc. . . .

Right, the UK 2.2 VTECs produced the following power: -
- 190bhp (5th gen)
- 176bhp (6th gen 97-98)
- 184bhp (6th gen 99-01)

There was also the Jap Import which produced 223bhp. This was a H22A. From what you said above, this sounds like the one you have. So you must have one hell of an engine!

yeah mines a h22a, got the gear box mount sorted today, its ready to weld in tomorrow then its just the rear and front support to do. i went and got the paint today, its defo goin audi s3 white with a black bonnet, roof and tailgate now, no turning back!!!! does any one know of a big disc conversion for the coupe? the big prelude calipers bolt strait on to the civic hubs but the pads overhang the disc by about 20mm

Right, the UK 2.2 VTECs produced the following power: -
- 190bhp (5th gen)
- 176bhp (6th gen 97-98)
- 184bhp (6th gen 99-01)

There was also the Jap Import which produced 223bhp. This was a H22A. From what you said above, this sounds like the one you have. So you must have one hell of an engine!
thats the 1

i knew they were well over 200 bhp
the things are weapons
i was whiped by 1 in my type r, why do you think i have 1?? ha ha

thanks prince on that, i never knew what bhp they were throwing out
nice 1

does anyone know what torque they have???

i was always a bhp man, but reacently noticed what torque acctually is
(say your in 3rd gear nearly at a standstill and you put the boot down and she belts away) thats torque right???
well if it is, the h22a has alot of the stuff

all the engine mounts are in now and welded and the engine is sitting level, got to take the engine back out for what seems like the 100th time so i can prep and paint the engine bay. aint long to go now

Your going to be so good at removing and inserting the engine! Did you custom make the engine mounts?

it takes me no time at all now lol! yeah i custom made all the mounts, i cut them from the donor car and re-fabricated them to suit the civic. ive since found a company in america that does a conversion mount kit for $500. the good thing is that mine didnt cost me a penny to make just time!

true, im also trying to make it look like the engine was meant to be in the car instead of just thrown in like most conversions. its taking alittle bit longer but it'll be worth it when its time to sell.

aint been on my pc for a bit, been busy again. ive finished off the mounts, painted the engine bay, got the engine sat back in (for the final time i hope!!! lol) its pretty much all piped up now, got the power steering to finish off tomorrow, exhaust to mate up, then its over to the sparky to do his magic with the wiring.
ive had some of the brackets, bolts and the bonnet catch acid dipped and zinc plated and pearl coated, they look really trippy. im going to get the paint tomoorow for the rocker cover. its going type r red (off the badges)