gearbox issues for b16a2

markcivic

easy people was wondering if a 2.0ltr crx gearbox would fit or be beneficial to my b16a2 vtec lump, at the mo it crunches slightly in second when i go slow...the rubber boot right next to the gear lever linkage is loose and thinking that may have something to do with it,any ideas?:confused:

yes,i think drewedgar is right about the crx.
anyway,did you try changing the gearbox oil?????? if not throw some slick 50 treatment in with it.i had a crunch in 3rd gear in my prelude,it sorted that out.
let me know if it works mate.b16=type r whats the 2 about??
well if its a type r you have, make sure its hydrallic gearbox oil you get
main dealers will put you right and should only cost around 10 squids. i remember getting it for my type r and it only costs that.
the slick 50 is a bit more expensive,but its good stuff.best of luck with that..oh and check that rubber booth,it might need replacing

Last edited by a moderator:
yes,i think drewedgar is right about the crx.....anyway,did you try changing the gearbox oil??????if not throw some slick 50 treatment in with it....i had a crunch in 3rd gear in my prelude,it sorted that out.......let me know if it works mate.b16=type r whats the 2 about?? well if its a type r you have, make sure its hydrallic gearbox oil you get...main dealers will put you right and should only cost around 10 squids..i remember getting it for my type r and it only costs that...the slick 50 is a bit more expensive,but its good stuff.best of luck with that..oh and check that rubber booth,it might need replacing
thanks i might try the oil change andf the boot defo needs replacing,its not a type r its 92 eg civic....the person am getting the gearbox from said it come straight outta a 2ltr crx but ill reconfirm...the b16a2 is the sronger of thne b16s 1 and 2,to tell its an a2 the vtec letters on rocker is bigger than the dohc letters and is the opposite for the b16a1..cheers

Hi markcivic and welcome to TorqueCars. Gearbox oil is a good 1st try - often if the level is low you get this. Also old oil loses its lubricity.

Is the clutch in good condition. A worn clutch can cause crunching in 1st and Reverse. It could also be a worn syncro ring.

Hi markcivic and welcome to TorqueCars. Gearbox oil is a good 1st try - often if the level is low you get this. Also old oil loses its lubricity.

Is the clutch in good condition. A worn clutch can cause crunching in 1st and Reverse. It could also be a worn syncro ring.
yaeh the clutch feels fine,its just 2nd if going up a slope or slow on a bend,will check gb oil and hope its just that ,cheers

thanks yaeh the clutch feels fine,its just 2nd if going up a slope or slow on a bend,will check gb oil and hope its just that ,cheers