Torque power weight

MondeoST220

Wrench Pro
Car
Mondeo ST220
Just a bit of help...
I've been thinking, I've been told I can only get a certain amount of horsepower from my car due to the torque I will need, I could rip my gearbox apart, I will uprate my box but even this will not be enough and totally replacing it for a different one is not an option.
My thinking is, if I reduce the weight of the car then I should be able to increase the torque and horsepower so as not to put as much load on the gearbox...
Am I correct?

Last edited:
IMO it will come down to your driving style.IF you drop the clutch @ hi revs with sticky tyres and clutch dump or do burnouts /donuts then it will have a short life.

Reducing the weight will not increase the torque. It will enable the torque you have to pull your car faster.

But will reducing the weight help me increase torque without causing damage

Weight reduction has nothing to do torque BUT substantial reduction will lessen the load on the gears.

You may also want to research CRYOGENIC TREATMENT of the gears etc to help increase longevity.

Weight reduction has nothing to do torque BUT substantial reduction will lessen the load on the gears.

You may also want to research CRYOGENIC TREATMENT of the gears etc to help increase longevity.

Thanks for the reply, when you think about it your right, torque is a constant that comes through the gearbox and weight has no bearing on the final torque produced by the engine.
I've already researched cryo and it sounds great but not many companies do it over here, that's one thing I'm going to think about when it comes time to do it.
Cheers for helping

Carbon fibre drive shafts can help reduce the rotational shocks on the gearbox.

Is this an auto box we are talking about?

If manual, I know a lot of people back in the day used to swap out for an Porsche G50 getrag box.

The Noble runs a Mondeo box and this can handle 300+lbft of Torque.

Does the MTX75 fit? This handles Cosworth power easily and might be a good upgrade.

Carbon fibre drive shafts can help reduce the rotational shocks on the gearbox.

Is this an auto box we are talking about?

If manual, I know a lot of people back in the day used to swap out for an Porsche G50 getrag box.

The Noble runs a Mondeo box and this can handle 300+lbft of Torque.

Does the MTX75 fit? This handles Cosworth power easily and might be a good upgrade.

The jag xtype AWD is basically a MTX75 box (manual I'm going to use) with a few bits extra, it's a front wheel drive box converted to a rear drive via a transfer box then a viscous coupling transfers power to the front wheels when the rear wheels slip, its mainly 60% rear drive and you can only put a LSD on the front wheels and that is where the weight is anyway, the front transfer box is renowned for problems so that's another issue I need to sort.
As for the propshaft, I was going down the carbon fibre route anyway with the potential of upgrading the wheels from 18" to 19" from cast to forged for lighter rotational force

Last edited: