Are modern type R's to tame

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Take the integra Type R as an example, a stripped out racer with a very solid and great sounding engine.

Compare this to a modern Type R and do you think they are too tame? Should the modern Type R's be stripped out or is the logical evolution of the Type R a usable comfortable daily driver?

The Type R is FWD and nasp. It was always ment to be a daily driver, but something that you could easily have fun with on the way to/from work. They are by no means tame though. The K20 inside the DC5 is a monster, and so is the B18 found inside the DC2. The problem with the new Type Rs is that they are becoming a fassion statement that people buy just to show off, but don't really know how to drive them.

The Type R is FWD and nasp. It was always ment to be a daily driver, but something that you could easily have fun with on the way to/from work

What's daily driver about an EK9 or a DC2? I wouldn't want one as an everyday car tbh I'll stick to my big comfy leather seats, climate control and cruise control.

Yes the Type-R's are getting less and less focused imo. Even the EK9 and DC2 whilst excellent cars are pretty tame as far as FWD cars go. The K20 is a monster of an engine, they've just put it in the wrong car.

not so much tame but fat.
look at the EP3 type R (most folk when you say type r to think of the civic over anything else) then the new style one. same engine but they had to adjust the gearing due to the extra weight

What's daily driver about an EK9 or a DC2? I wouldn't want one as an everyday car tbh I'll stick to my big comfy leather seats, climate control and cruise control.

Yes the Type-R's are getting less and less focused imo. Even the EK9 and DC2 whilst excellent cars are pretty tame as far as FWD cars go. The K20 is a monster of an engine, they've just put it in the wrong car.

When my EJ6 is finished it will be my 200bhp daily driver. Recaros are comfortable and who needs climate control to commute around town?? How can both the EK9 and DC2 be tame?! IMO they are the best FWD cars ever made, apart from the DC5. Just because they don't have 500bhp doesn't mean they are tame, it's the way they handle that makes them such great cars.

The biggest problem with FN2s is that they are driven by people looking for an image not a performance car. Even the EP3s are too commonly driven by people who are looking for that 'Type R' image. It's not the cars, it's the drivers!

As a new 2011 FN2 Type R owner stepping up or down ? from a 400hp turbo into a 200 hp NA powered car that has all the bells and whistles that add to a pleasant road driving experience. I can say that the VTEC coming in is nothing quite like the turbo spooling up but I love the way it revs like a sewing machine with the slick close ratio 6 speed box and the way it corners on rails.

Love the seats as there is no need to fit a race seat at all BUT I will be upgrading the front brakes to 4 piston calipers and 330 mm rotors and SS braided lines as the factory brakes are IMO not up to the job an track days.