Why is it so?

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Can anyone explain why most people who play sports try to be better at it and practice grip, stance ,swing and generally try to be better each time they play their chosen sport BUT once let loose on the highways and byways with IMO very basic skills if any and never undertake any further training to improve their skills and seem to quickly develop bad habits like poor posture behind the wheel,steering 1 handed with the hand anywhere on the wheel and the other on the gear stick when they won't be changing gear anytime soon,sitting waaay back with the arms straight etc.

Sadly many will "teach' their offspring to drive after have sitting in vehicles watching what they do for say 15 odd years .V(

It seems to me that the government is happy to keep doing the same thing over and over by increasing penalties and top up the coffers and expect a different outcome BUT sadly lacking the internal fortitude to toughen up the test criteria to weed out many that are simply unsuited to controlling a 1 ton plus machine that has killed more than all the world wars combined.

Credit to Professor Julius Sumner Miller for the tread starter title :)

Last edited:
I guess the people being described are those that think being able to drive is just an extension to walking once mastered why improve it? Once you master riding a bike what else is there? Only the enthusiastic drivers or owners look to hone their abilities, or rather that is how I would like to see it. When my girls and my wife wanted to learn how to drive I refused to teach them. They got professional tuition and I offered to give them guidance or inbetween lessons purely to give them what they wanted if asked. I didn’t want to give them any bad habits I may have developed. I’ve done fast driving courses and 1:1 track sessions, raced for many years. I’m no pro but confident in my abilities. In 38 years of having a driving licence I have never had any points or been breathylised, however that in itself doesn’t make me a good driver.

Infortunatly I tend to think that people like us are are in the minority.
Agreed.

People tend to assume they know and won't be told or even try to learn. Even worse is when people disregard anything that doesn't fit in with their preconceptions.

You can't learn to drive by watching a stunt driver in a film but people assume they can!

Take skid control techniques - I'd say over 80 percent of people will steer completely the wrong way the other 15 percent will over compensate snd just an elite 5 percent would handle it ok.

IMHO one of the most important things that seems not to be part of license testing is attitude.

I may get into trouble saying this BUT females seem to think that it is their partners/dads/boy friends job to ensure that their car is in a fit and roadworthy condition and are clueless on basic checks like tyre pressures and tread depth along with unusual tread wear showing that they are scrubbing and the alignment needs correcting and checking that all the lights are working.

IMO all would be drivers should be tested as well as demonstrate basic knowledge and how to do regular maintenance checks as part of the test as it has never been needed more with the long service intervals with modern cars.

Females tend to favor fashion over function when it comes to footwear and wear open toed shoes and flip flops that can get caught under the pedals in a panic situation along with platform and spike heels that are totally unsuitable and dangerous.They need to have a pair of soft soled flattys when driving and slip the spike heels on getting out.

Last edited:
Anyone who takes a driving test wearing a hat of any description should be failed. I think all hat wearing drivers (usually the young, or the old) are a nightmare and best not allowed to drive a car! :lol:

Anyone who takes a driving test wearing a hat of any description should be failed. I think all hat wearing drivers (usually the young, or the old) are a nightmare and best not allowed to drive a car! :lol:

Over here we used to be and I still am wary of people wearing hats especially in 240 Volvos as well as anybody with a bowls hat, nodding dog toy or loose cushions on the back shelf along with sparkly things or whatever hanging off the rear view mirror.

IMO they were and still are signs that warn me to be extra careful around them.

Forgot to mention flat brim cap wearers especially the ones that wear them any other way than brim @ the front .V( \B

That may well be due to me being an old out of touch geezer :lol:

Best hide my caps then! If I’m driving the A4 cab I have to wear a peaked cap to stop the sun in my eyes when the roof is down.

I just don't get convertible cars as IMO they are usually heavier,flex more ,less secure, rag top prone to leaking,driver and passengers get windblown/sunburned/splashed by oncoming traffic if puddles on roads etc

No offense intended.

:lol: @ Lunchy

Last edited:
I just don't get convertible cars as IMO they are usually heavier,flex more ,less secure, rag top prone to leaking,driver and passengers get windblown/sunburned/splashed by oncoming traffic if puddles on roads etc

No offense intended.

:lol: @ Lunchy

No offence taken! You may be misinformed as I can agree with some of what you are saying but not all. We used to have an MGF, great little car, progressed to a much bigger 4 seater. Yes it is heavy but a great cruiser, full electric roof and not blowy at all with the wind stop fitted. We enjoy UK road trips with the roof down and enjoy the countryside for what it is. Why have a motorbike, be leathered up with a helmet in summer?

Stamford I should have said that most of my comments were directed at older versions of soft tops where there were no clever wind deflectors and had poor water sealing.

I know that some convertibles have folding metal tops now and today's soft tops have better sealing.

But hey if everybody was the same it would be a dull old world .V( :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back