What qualifies as a classic car?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I think we'll all be different here so what do you count as a classic car?

For me its a pre 1970 with running boards and nice curves.

The 911 or Beetle perhaps?

Old muscle cars leave me cold though.

Tax man says (for purposes of UK road tax) anything pre '73 is a classic car.
Insurance, not all but in general, says over 20 years old.
Mine becomes a classic later this year :woot:

Tax man says (for purposes of UK road tax) anything pre '73 is a classic car.
Insurance, not all but in general, says over 20 years old.
Mine becomes a classic later this year :woot:

My Audi V8 turns 20 later this year. I don’t think they look their age these days. My old Firenza was a 1972 model.

My last car in the pic had club registration as it was over 30 years old and IMO going to be a future classic.

You'd expect a classic to appreciate in value.

People also refer to a modern classic but I'm not sure you can have a modern classic. A future classic perhaps?

You'd expect a classic to appreciate in value.

People also refer to a modern classic but I'm not sure you can have a modern classic. A future classic perhaps?

Modern classics exist through certain car insurers, my MG ZS is on such a policy and costs around £120 a year with all mods plus I get MGCC discount. One day my zed may be seen in the same light as mk4/5 Cortinas! Those prices are silly!

I think it will. I still have a lot of love for the mg Rover brand.

There are still some great examples around so would probably make a good investment.

Age is a big factor. Footman James insurance guy told me at a show once it starts around 10 years old but the model is also a big factor in this. My Skyline is a good example. They would insure my GTR as a classic but the GTST models they wouldn't. Seems you need to have the right model to be considered for classic insurance and to enjoy all its benefits over regular insurance

Over here we have club rego for vehicles that are over 30 years old. Club rego restricts it to club runs ,events, driving to workshop or testing.

I must have done quite a bit of testing ;b/,bedding brakes etc in my old car but it was on my personal plates and not a club "S" plate that would have made it obvious to Mr Plod that there were restrictions on usage and give him reason to query where the driver was going /doing.