astra cdti hesitation

octoman

Wrench Pro
Car
vauxhall vectra dti
Hi I have a 2008 Vauxhall astra 1.9 cdti 120 and when I accelerate to about 2000 revs it feels like its holding back then if I put foot down a bit more it will go there is no smoke at this point and also in top gear when driving say at 1500 revs the car seems to jump abit then clears , wondered if the first problem could be egr valve or boost control valve but do not know what second problem could be thanks

Hi I have not tryed bg244 yet as just lost job but think something else has happened now when I start car the spanner light comes on when switch ignition on but goes out when car has started but briefly comes on as car started , it only comes on for second , put code reader on it and no codes found

Try the BG244 it's really good stuff. It sound like you are on the threshold of a problem. Perhaps a clogged injector or it's getting a bit sooted up.

Take it for a good hard drive and vary the revs and get the engine hot. These engines are made to be driven.

Hi tried bg244 in my car but did not make a lot of difference but now my astra is telling me on my computer that it is doing 36.9 mpg on mixture of town and a distance of 10 miles driving it still hesitate a bit at 2000 revs and when I accelerate in 5th and 6th gear it still Judders I am thinking it may be dmf but hope some one can help thanks

I believe your engine is the 8 valve and less troublesome than the later 16 valve engine which had trouble with valves sticking (oil starvation) and swirl valves in the manifold breaking up etc But wasn’t there trouble with the 8v timing chains? As I recall it was to do with the oil feed hole through the timing gear only being about 80 thou dia and it would carbon up if oil changes weren’t kept up.

Anyway some of your troubles certainly sound like the EGR, don’t know about the BG244, it’s probably best used as preventive action, once a valve gets carboned up you’re better stripping it to clean. Have a look at this video which shows a professional cleaner being used (aerosol and fuel tank additive) but look at the before and after pictures. I know I wasn’t really impressed with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOGjAQHVeCc

Hi thanks for reply it is 8valve but its a belt drive , I will clean egr when I get time I think juddering on acceleration maybe dmf

Hi I have just been out in car and computer is showing 35.9 mpg and when I started it this morning it took a bit to start it and it smoked a bit ,then went for a drive and stopped it went to it and it still took a bit to start could this be glowplugs and would egr benefit with a clean thanks

When did you last have it serviced? You might benefit by adding the BG244 but this can only do so much. Are there any engine fault codes? If not then hopefully the problem is not big so you might get away with using the additive. If you have had the Vectra for a longtime and cannot remember the last change of glow plugs then it might be prudent to consider making the investment as it is getting colder and therefore the glow plugs will be working harder.

Hi thanks for reply I serviced car when I got it which was about march /April time , I have put opcom on and came up with code p0380 glowplug error ,would this affect mpg and also what is best way to test glowplugs thanks

Ok, well before we condemn the glow plugs remove the loom connections to them one at a time and give them a good blast of electrical contact cleaner, then replace the connection plug back very carefully and see how you get on.

+1 for what T9 Man said. You really need to get this looked at becos winter is almost upon us and it's not going to get any better just talking about it and going round in circles. If you have something wrong with your heater plugs you should be getting a fault code P0380 or similar, they work off the coolant temp sensor through the ECU to the power relay. You can check the plugs with a multi-meter, don't know the exact spec for yours but generally they should read about 1 ohm resistance, anythiong over say 5 ohms you should replace them.

Incidentally on modern cars the system is now called PPH (pre/post heating) since the heater plugs are used for more than just cold start eg during DPF regeneration.

Hi I'm getting code p0380 and I have looked at the glowplug and look like the egr has to come off and fuel rail thing is there anything else to remove , my car is the 1.9 cdti 120 thanks

Hi with reference to my post when in fifth or sixth gear and go to accelerate I get shuddering from engine feels like the engines moving up and down , does not do it in the other gears I thought it might be dmf is there any checks I can do to see if it is dmf thanks

Hi with reference to my thread I have driven car today and the juddering only happens in fifth and sixth gear when accelerating at 1500 revs and goes away at about 2000 revs no gearshift wobble and no noise from clutch and when I change from first to second I have noticed a rattle cud that be thrust bearing thanks

Hi my reference to my juddering it starts at 1500 revs and if I keep accelerating it goes I haven't cleaned egr valve but it could be something else like gear box bearings or a warped clutch thanks

Hi my reference to my juddering it starts at 1500 revs and if I keep accelerating it goes I haven't cleaned egr valve but it could be something else like gear box bearings or a warped clutch thanks
Did u ever get this fixed mate I’ve blanked off egr valve and new fuel filter but still no joy