Couple fined for overstaying car park time in a queue

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
This really wound me up, and it demonstrated that privately owned car parks need to be more heavily regulated.

Car park operator ParkingEye should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves and hopefully in the light of the negative publicity they rightly deserve should change their policies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-overstaying-car-park-got-stuck-queue-trying/

Argueing they should have bought more time as they could see there was a delay is a poor arguement to use. People pay to park in a car park, not to be sitting in the car waiting to get out.

If anything the people should be compensated in my opinion as there contract was to be in the car park for a period of time, that period expired and they were prevented from exiting the car park. This is often down to poor design.

I accept that a fine might go out automatically but when appealed it should be considered and in this case should have been waived - it's a classic example of a company chasing profits.

I think there is a simple answer here
Simply write back refusing to accept the decision and state thats why they are not going to pay the charge because it is unlawful (important phrase) THE ONUS IS THEN ON THE PARKING COMPANY TO PROVE OTHERWISE.
unlike an overdue parking meter this is a civil matter so the parking company will have to prove there was actually an offence . They have absolutely no way of making the fine valid without legal backing and that means proving it in court

I'll remember that tip @SLEEPER I think most companies use thread and intimidation and rarely have the means or motivation to back it up with action.