Tyre pressure checks

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
They should be checked at least weekly WHEN THEY ARE COLD but so many fail to check the spare due to the difficulty in doing it.

TIP if say 1 tyre is under-inflated by say 3psi when you get to a servo no matter if that gauge indicates the correct pressure ADD 3PSI to whatever the gauge indicates and you will be close to the recommended pressure as shown on the tyre placard :)

I recommend a visual check the first time you get in the car each day by taking the long way around to the drivers door as this will also reveal toys/bikes etc that children may have abandoned behind your car OR if it is parked outside that it still has all the wheels in place :eek:

TIP over-inflate the spare up to the maximum pressure noted on the sidewall or say 15 psi so in the event of it being needed there will be a better chance of it being near the recommended pressure should it be needed to replace a punctured tyre.

NOTE check the pressure and lower it to the correct pressure if needed with your own gauge that I know you all carry in your vehicles ;)

Good tips there. I'm always checking my tyre pressures and they usually only stay where I want them for a few weeks before I need to top up. Any quicker than that and I assume there is a puncture or problem to deal with and I find that underinflated tyres cost me around 4mpg which really adds up.

So what is cold? Measuring tyre pressure today in 32 degrees of heat produces pressures well above recommended. As I understand it, pressures should be correct at ambient 20 degrees. Correct me if wrong!

COLD is before you get in to drive after you wake up in the morning to drive to wherever because when you drive the tyres heat up and pressures rise.

Things may be a little different over your way as I saw so many cars parked out in all weathers whereas my cars are in locked garages where the COLD temps are more stable/consistent.:)

PS Freddy you may well be right BUT I have yet to see the @ 20 deg temp you put forward on any tyre placard so what evidence do you have to back up your claim ?-/

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/tire-inflation-pressure-and-temperature

Last edited:
Thanks 4 the interesting link |B

My intentions in starting the thread was/is to hopefully get motorists to become more aware of the importance of tyre pressures as I see so many vehicles with 1 or more tyres obviously under inflated and that can be dangerous in emergency manoeuvres,increases wear and lengthens braking distances due to reduced tyre footprint as well as encourage discussion :)

FWIW when I inflate the tyres on my track to the pressures I think best I do not alter them when I awake at the track to -5deg as I know they will back to the right pressure as the day warms.

Last edited:
Tyre pressure checks should regularly be performed in order to get better life of the tyre, safe drive and even the savings on the fuel. This facility is available at almost all the filling stations just free of cost.