exhaust system for a 1.6 TDI is it worth it

Jord

Car
Golf Mk 6 1.6tdi
I'm thinking of shelling out in the future and getting a exhaust system upgrade to for my mk 6 golf. But I'm not sure what style or type to go for. I'm new to this as you can primly tell so please.. do be gentle.
Thanks

Hi and welcome to TC forums.
Depends what you're changing the exhaust for, performance or looks. I have the previous mk5 golf with the BMN 170 TDI engine. I looked at exhaust upgrade but to be honest there's no big performance advantage to be gained unless you're upgrading turbo to big power levels or you're wanting to delete the DPF which is highly illegal and instant MOT fail if found. If it is performance you're looking for than a simple remap will give a big gain for your cash and satisfies most drivers expectations. Next step is the big turbo, intercooler, injectors, intake and outtake system etc etc which is when the exhaust upgrade will have best effect.

a simple remap will give a big gain for your cash and satisfies most drivers expectations. Next step is the big turbo, intercooler, injectors, intake and outtake system etc etc which is when the exhaust upgrade will have best effect.
Though if you are going to do the next step then do it before the remap. Plan your upgrades, budget, build, remap :)

Thanks for the responses there! I've actually already had a customer remap done. *Facepalm* yep before any sort of hardware upgrades. I'm going to get a pipercross panel filter as well. I've never tuned or modded before and was just wanting to see what route would be best to go for. I don't like the idea that I'd be limited to just a remap and air filter change. However of course the deeper you go, changing turbos etc. The more it'll cost. After the remap I was one smiley man, so chuffed with the improvement. I guess I'll just save my pennies and then asses the options. Thanks ms again for your help. Any other advice please feel free to offer it. |B

Thanks for the responses there! I've actually already had a customer remap done. *Facepalm* yep before any sort of hardware upgrades. I'm going to get a pipercross panel filter as well. I've never tuned or modded before and was just wanting to see what route would be best to go for. I don't like the idea that I'd be limited to just a remap and air filter change. However of course the deeper you go, changing turbos etc. The more it'll cost. After the remap I was one smiley man, so chuffed with the improvement. I guess I'll just save my pennies and then asses the options. Thanks ms again for your help. Any other advice please feel free to offer it. |B
Take a look at
https://www.awesomegti.com/
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/

They have a lot of tuning options and kits to empty your pockets quicker then Dick Turpin himself

Though if you are going to do the next step then do it before the remap. Plan your upgrades, budget, build, remap :)

IMHO the word "Before" is the important bit of advise in LM's post BUT more importantly is DO NOT be attempted to see how much power the mods/changes make BEFORE the remap is done otherwise severe wallet pain may occur .V(

Even with a larger turbo the standard exhaust should flow fine. The diesel engines do not rev or flow much gas so there is little to be had with a performance exhaust. A better flowing particulate filter and EGR can sometimes release a little more power.

I'd recommend a larger hybrid turbo, bigger injectors and a remap to get the best out of that. If power goes beyond 225bhp you'll need a decent torque sensing differential and a brake and suspension upgrade is always high up on my modification list.

Thanks for that obi the turbo upgrade is gonna be a hefty cost. I've had a custom remap which I'm happy with that, would the injectors alone be a good idea or is it only worth upgrading them along with the hybrid turbo and another remap.

Thanks again

Diesel injectors are much more costly than petrol injectors as they operate under much higher pressures.

You need to match the extra fuel with extra air or your just wasting your money. You won't get any extra power from larger/beefier injectors on their own (unless your old injectors are really badly silted up)

Injectors and turbo together IMO with a custom rolling road remap.

Wait for your turbo to start to whine and hoot and that is a sign it's on its way out so then would be a good time to upgrade.

Okay brilliant thank you! I guess there's that old saying my dad keeps reminding me of: "don't fix what's not broken". I'll wait for my current components to fail (god forbid, I certainly don't want them to and there not likely to for a long time). But at that point I could take it as an opportunity to upgrade. My cars in brilliant nick and only just seen in 50k miles. I'm gonna upgrade suspension next and then get my alloys refurbed. Should keep me going for a while and my bank balance dwindling. :DB) thanks for your wisdom