My old car insurance co,want a cancellation/admin fee ?

Geoff5050

Car
Focus Zetec S
Just cancelled my previous insurance after 11 months,and it was a fully paid up policy using a credit card.I received a phone call from the previous company stating they had received my cancellation letter and doc's,but they are going to charge me £47.No doubt these companies do this a lot to customers,anyway I said to him what about the one months premium you owe me,as I had only used 11 months out of the 12 ? So in theory they owe me £33 which is a twelth of the policy.So I reckon I only owe them £14....he said he will phone me back on that one...ha ha !

Cancellation and amendment fees would have been stipulated in your policy docs. Even cancelling 1 day early would trigger the fee.
As for your 'I only had 11 months so they owe me a month back', it doesn't work that way. You pay for a 12 month policy. It's not their fault you only want it for 11. I would be very surprised if you got any money out of them, though they may forgo the cancel fee.

Absolutely worth trying it.

Cheaper companies tend to charge the full premium after 9 months and many levy cancellation fees.

Generally though the harsh penalties apply in the first year with a company. After this many cancel pro rata with little or no admin fee.

Absolutely worth trying it.

Cheaper companies tend to charge the full premium after 9 months and many levy cancellation fees.

Generally though the harsh penalties apply in the first year with a company. After this many cancel pro rata with little or no admin fee.
Your right this is normal practice to charge a cancellation fee,but I thought I would put my point across.Just to see what happens....my motto is : Don't ask don't get.

Turned out to be a bit of a farce,after I argued my case they duly put £49 into my account...great I thought...realising their mistake they phoned me back saying their office had made a mistake by giving me the money....ha ha ! Well they did eventually take £49 from my account as a cancellation fee.So they will charge a cancellation fee no matter what the circumstances.
I was'nt too disappointed as I had already saved £80 in premiums by changing insurance company to Adrian Flux for a car with modifications.