Hey All.

Pilzy

Car
MG ZS 120 2005
MG ZS 120 owner about to put a ZT turbo in to my beloved ZS and pretty much double my HP.

Love to hear from anyone whose already 1.8t their ZS.

Based in Warwickshire.

Take care, Pilzy.

Sounds like an awesome project. I used to have the Rover 220 GTi so have a love for Rover/MG and all things related.

Are you doing a gearbox swap as well? The ratios will be quite low otherwise if you keep your standard box. Please take lots of pics and start a project thread, I'll be interested to hear your progress each step of the way as I am sure many of our members also will.

Hi Obi_Waynne.

Nice to meet you.

It is my belief, mostly from reading those who have travelled this road before before, that both cars use the PG1 box so there shouldn`t be any issues there.

Great idea to start a project thread. I keep meaning to take pics as I tinker and learn so maybe this could be just the kick I need to actually do it!

The MG thing came as a complete surprise to me. At age 45 I`ve never had much interest in tinkering. If they passed the MOT happy days, otherwise I`d just trust the garages opinion and leave `em to it. Since buying the ZS last June I haven`t bloody stopped spending money and time in, under and around the thing. Last weekend was lower ball joints and CV boots, this weekend is track rod ends and an upper control arm, things just 6 months ago I couldn`t have pointed at I`m now happily replacing. MG life! :D

Greetings and welcome to our TorqueCars forum :)

I think the chap to talk too on here might be my esteemed colleague @stamford.
I am sure he will able to give you some great advice with this project.

Good luck sir.

Thanks T9 Man.

Great forum you have here, really appreciate being welcomed by genuine car lovers.

I am sooooooooooo open to help and advice and if Stamford is willing and able I would greatly accept any and all assistance. The iNet is such a fantastic resource. Youtube and the various forums can teach so much, but, there is definitely a point where you NEED the 2 way of question response. The Turbo conversion keeps me awake at night but I really want to be as hands on as possible. I feel it won`t be my project unless it`s my blood, sweat and tears that soak each nut and bolt. Plus, I don`t think I have ever had so much fun. The weekends cannot come soon enough so I can throw down the carpentry tools and grab a ratchet and wrench and start rolling around on the floor under my ZS.

Again, thank you for the welcome, take care and watch this space........

Got your message Pilzy. There are a few k-series 1.8Ts out there, best bet is to try www.theMGZS.co.uk as there will be accurate information on the conversion and what is needed, try this thread. All I would do myself is read through the threads there and copy it here, might as well go direct! FYI the ZT turbo only gave 160bhp, it was not tuned a great deal. 200 is obtainable if going the Rover T16 route (an old engine but very able) I have one that was rated at 243bhp with standard internals.

Thanks for the link Stamford, I`ve posted a message and just hope the thread is still alive!

243bhp must be a whole heap of fun to drive. I cannot wait to have some extra power, it is the only thing missing from my ZS.

Yes they are missing power but they make it up in spades with the handling. My T16 requires some fettling and diagnostics as it is not running smoothly. Picks up well but has a flat spot.

Do you know, I still have no idea what a T16 is! I`m going to guess at a 1.6 turbo.

Will you be fettling yourself with spanners or is it more of an ECU running road remap job.

There is so much I have to learn. Loving the education though. Youtube is one hell of a resource and the forums and facebook groups are full of helpful folk who happily share their hard won knowledge. It`s enough to restore a man`s faith in human kind.

Chap I bought my ECU off has found a FPR with dial and is popping it in the post so all I`ve got to find now is a FMIC and the hoses to connect it all up.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back